Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Rear track width into EA81 Q

newsoobdude

A lot of talk over the years about the EA82 front suspension swap into an EA81 (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/5inchlift.html), but no one talks about the rear. I've seen sk'o's B.A. BRAT and like the fact he has the EA82 front suspension with P/S and all, but his front track width is wider than the rear and I'd like equal track widths personally. I have a parts EA82 Wagon with ALL the goodies (PS, D/r, DOJs, rear struts) and am planning on swapping the suspension over to y EA81 Wagon that's going to get a 6 inch lift:headbang: via a modified version of McBrats writeup (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/5inchlift.html) and SJR bits. I'm just curious as to how to do the rear suspension due to the EA81 having trailing arms and EA82s not. I just want the EA82 rear track width the EASIEST way possible. Any help would be appreciated.

I've been thinking on this myself for one of the BRATs. Here's a few of my thoughts....

Keep the EA-81 mustache bar and build lift blocks to suit the lift height.

Build offset lift blocks to adapt the EA-82 rear crossmember tube to where the EA-81 torsion tube mounts on the body.

Build mount blocks to adapt the EA-82 rear strut top mount to the EA-81 rear shock mount point on the body.

This is all just from sitting in the garage looking at the various parts involved, sipping a couple of cold ones. Nothing has been stuffed under the BRAT yet to see just what all is involved. But it just seems to be the easiest way I can come up with.

how much wider is it?

The EA82 rear assembly is about 3 or 4 inches or so wider than an EA71 rear, i swapped an EA82 rear assembly into my '80 Brat, I will be doing the front swap too, and discs all around. I believe Jerry told me the EA81 rear assembly is only 1 inch wider than the EA71 rear end.

-Bill

• 3 years later...
The EA82 rear assembly is about 3 or 4 inches or so wider than an EA71 rear, i swapped an EA82 rear assembly into my '80 Brat, I will be doing the front swap too, and discs all around. I believe Jerry told me the EA81 rear assembly is only 1 inch wider than the EA71 rear end.

-Bill

I know it's an old thread, but do you have any pictures of the mod?