Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at getting a 2003-2004. Ballpark cost landed in NZ is $12,000 - $13,000. But that is for the top model (type S). That link is a pretty low non-supercharged, non-AWD model. Quite steep for that model, but 24000km and looks tidy as.

If i didnt live in such a rural area - id seriously consider it. SH2 would be a hassle in that thing tho, id live in fear of being eaten by a logtruck.

Dont spose ya got the l/100k figures or some performance figures?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3jG-91ZAw

JDM crash test video on Youtube for it. Seems to handle it OK. Gets a high-ish rating too.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.subaru.jp%2Fr2%2Fr2%2Fequipment%2Findex.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

Loads of specs at above links. Can click through the menus on the left and it keeps translating them.

Well, I, for one, would be willing (here in the States) to downsize to a microcar like the R2 (the type S w/supercharger and AWD looks mighty sweet!).

Have you come across any mpg figures for the R2S? I haven't been able to find any.

I do think that as gas prices go through the stratosphere, more and more folks will be be willing to make radical changes in their car buying choices and downsize to a microcar like the R2.

With Sube's rated gas mileage currently no higher than 27 mpg, with 17-20 around town, that kind of mileage will be unacceptable for more and more of us as gas prices reach $6, $7, $8 a gallon and even higher over the next few years.

Here in the Bay Area of northern California, gas is $4-$4.30 a gallon at the moment and diesel fuel has reached $5 a gallon :eek: . With diesel fuel prices going even higher than gas prices and the spread between the two apparently getting wider, Subaru's diesel engined Outback, likely being sold in the States in a couple of years, might not be economical enough to drive for many.

Anyway, I do think that it's time for the R2 to be offered here in the States.

Completely agree with you on all counts. Normal 91 octane (R+M) is US$5.94 per US gallon here already, so change is definitely looking like a good idea.

Fuel millage here

Subaru R2 type S 2wd: 19.4 km/L = 45.63 miles/gallon

Subaru R2 type S awd: 18.6 km/L = 43.75 miles/gallon

This model gets best economy. Higher tech engine. Supercharger engine doesn't get Variable Valve Timing.

Subaru R2 R 2wd (DOHC 16 valve VVT): 24.5 km/L = 57.62 miles/gallon :grin::headbang:

Subaru R2 R awd (DOHC 16 valve VVT): 22.5 km/L = 52.92 miles/gallon

By my reckoning it looks like it won't take long to pay off the purchase vs my '86 XT turbo auto millage!

Not a huge step in power either (can take small cuts to save wallet:-\):

Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 0.238 kW/kg

Jaguar XKR Coupe 0.137 kW/kg

Subaru Legacy (gen IV EZ30) 0.108 kW/kg

Subaru XT Turbo (auto) 0.072 kW/kg

VW Golf (standard model) 0.063 kW/kg

Subaru R2 type S awd 0.053 kW/kg