Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat tranny troubles

Hello all

Now that I have this thing on the road I am working out the bugs and I am a little confused. I know the d/r 4 speeds have issues with the crunch between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd but this one is odd. it is very intermittant is shifts fine for a day or so then suddenly it goes back to crunching and sometimes grinding. feels like the clutch is not dis engaging but I know it is. It also has the typical super sloppy shift linkage like lost of us do. if the syncros are bad shouldnt it crunch all the time not sometimes or does anyone think it has anything to do with the sloppy shifter. any help would be appreciated

Wish I had swapped the tranny while I had the engine out but didne have time. only drove this car 2 or 3 miles before I tore it apart to replace a bad clutch only to find the clutch was installed wrong.

bummer:banghead:

You might try looking around the clutch cable areas. The yoke at the clutch peddle spread apart and let the bushing slip out . This left the clutch peddle free play too loose. I had adjusted it up, but it would grind sometimes and be OK at other times. The clutch cable broke shortly after, and I figured out what my problem was when I put in the new clutch cable. I would take a look at all the clutch mounts and check the free play on the clutch.. Good luck