Ultimate Subaru Message Board

good morning. i havent been here in a while. i was wondering if anyone has the procedure to remove and clean the fuel sending unit. the "chip" that the floater arm attaches to to give a fuel level reading. it was gunked up when i got the car...and i was getting a check engine light..that was 5 years ago and i can't remember the whole procedure. well it's doing it again so i wanted to take a look. i was also wondering if that particular piece can be ordered...since it was also a little worn in the middle and when it hit that area , the gas needle would just go to empty.

thanks kit

The picture is from a 97 Leg

so your should be very close to it

behind the rear seat pass side

under the carpet

you will see an oval cover.

Remove it and the top of the pictured unit

will be exposed.

Remove the hoses (marking them for proper

replacement.

Remove the screws and gently prize the unit out.

A pencil eraser works well to clean the contact swipe.

I'm sorry I do not have the part number for the

reostat board.

Hope this helps.

i know i forgot to say the model...99 legacy wagon anniversary model 2.2.

thanks

kit

Don't make the mistake I made when I did this on our '98 Outback LTD wagon. REPLACE, do not re-use, the rubber gasket that goes between the tank and the fuel pump assembly (shown in picture above). They are available separately (about 7 or 8 bucks from Mike Scarff Subaru of Auburn). If you re-use the old gasket, you WILL have a gasoline vapor leak and the "check engine" lamp coming on because the old gasket won't seal correctly around the entire perimeter of the tank opening, resulting in an evaporative emission leak....

I just removed a set of those that atleast somewhat worked from a car that I scrapped. By that I mean there was a fuel level reading but the car was undriveable.

If you do find a good repair I'd be interested in what you did - they are often wimpy. I just don't know how to tell on which side the problem is.

I second the recommendation on a new rubber gasket.

I'd also caution you that if you live in the rust belt it's easy to break off one of the many studs that the nuts go on. PB Blaster and patience.

It doesn't look like much fun to replace a fuel tank.

Dave