Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy no cooling fans at all help please

I have a 92 Legacy 2.2 epfi and the cooling fans don't turn on. The AC system isn't charged so it doesn't work. We've tested the relays under the hood, tried connecting power directly to the fans but neither turned on. We also tried disconnecting the temp sensor and other sensor under the manifold also we're trying to figure out if we need to bypass the ac incase the relay needs a signal from the ac to operate the fans. I've searched the forums and found several threads about overheating and fan issues and think we've tried almost everything. Next I guess we find the ECU and try the things mentioned regarding that ... any other thoughts? We tried putting power directly on the plug for the fans and nothing worked but it's unlikely isn't it that both fans would die at the same time isn't it ? Or is it? Please share your thoughts tips ideas? Thanks in advance!

Are you sure they both died at the same time? You mentioned that the A/C doesn't work. Do you know why it doesn't work? Is it possible your A/C fan quit awhile back and that caused your A/C to stop working? And now that your cooling fan has quit so you're just noticing that neither works?

Do you have a multimeter? maybe you could test for power at the fan terminals when the engine is warm enough to trip the switches?

Just throwing out ideas.

good luck!

Will-

I[...]We tried putting power directly on the plug for the fans and nothing worked but it's unlikely isn't it that both fans would die at the same time isn't it ? Or is it?[...]
If you applied 12 volts directly (and correctly!) to the fan connectors, and nothing happened, it certainly would seem that the fans themselves are bad. So, to which color wires, and with what polarity, did you make the connections?

I sorta am going through the same thing. Both my fans went out too (or one then the other). I took it to a shop and they said direct power should make them run but mine didn't. They also checked the relays and wiring and said they were good. I had them replace with 2 used fans and here's the problem now: Both fans come on when the a/c button is pushed only (no fan if a/c is off) but the compressor doesn't click or come on. A/C worked fine before the shop looked at it. What could this be ? Wiring issue ? Any help is appreciated !

When I purchased the car a year ago I was told then that the AC needed recharged. I don't know if either fan was ever working recently the car started overheating when idling which led me to discover neither fan was turning on. We tried putting 12 volts and a ground into each hole on each plug of both fans and also jumpered the two fans together I didn't pay attention to the colors sorry I have MS and it's a friend who's helping I do the research here and try to relay the information to him.