Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a couple ej22's sitting around and a guy is coming over to buy one and want it to replace a motor in his 98 legacy. I know somewhere in the mid-late ninties they changed the bellhousing bolt pattern somehow and I need to know if this motor will work in his car with his transmission. I've spent the last 30 minutes or so searching and finding a lot of answers that lead me to believe there shouldnt be much of a problem but I havent found anything that makes me 100% certain it will work, and I do not want to sell him a motor that might not easily work in his car.

Thanks,

[edit] I believe his car has an auto trans

98 might have 4 bolts or 8 bolts on the bellhousing, it was the change over year. It will work either way there are just a few extra holes, the 4 will line up. 92 is not an easy swap into a 98, lots is different with wiring and no EGR.

Ok great, how differant is the wiring? all i have is a long block, he is going to strip all the stuff off the motor on his 98 and put it on this one.. what are the notable differances? I dont have any experiance working with subarus outside of the ea81so I'm pretty ignorant as far as the 90s go

Ok great, how differant is the wiring? all i have is a long block, he is going to strip all the stuff off the motor on his 98 and put it on this one.. what are the notable differances? I dont have any experiance working with subarus outside of the ea81so I'm pretty ignorant as far as the 90s go

92 had no EGR, his 98 probably does, your longblock has no hole in the head for the egr pipe. 92 2.2 is dual port exhaust 98 2.2 is single. If his is a 2.5, his intake manifold won't fit on the 2.2

missing information - is the 1998 an EJ25 or EJ22? Legacy's had both that year. That will make a big difference.

the 98 will most likely have EGR, so that will be the first problem.

he can remove it and live with the Check engine light.

to keep it you'd have to drill and tap the engine block for the EGR valve.

there are more but you didn't say which motor.