Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Update" Question about 96 outback wagon "Now with pics"

I just bought a 1996 outback wagon 2.5 DOHC auto with a bad HG and knock for $400, also has a couple of small rust holes. My question is can I swap a 2.2 into it and if so what years fit the tranny? I searched for an hour but found very little about it.:-\ http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/Easycz52/Picture009.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/Easycz52/Picture015.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/Easycz52/Picture018.jpg

WHAT!?!? an EJ25 with rod knock and a bad headgasket - i don't believe it!?!?

just kidding.....

yes there is TONS of information on the forum. it would be best to read through it - there are too many options and different ways of doing it - but yes it's possible and it's easy.

tip - the search function does not work well with 3 letter searches. try to keep them with 4 or more letters. and if you have a 3 letter item to search you can attempt to use * as a place holder - like: *the.....or....the*...something like that.

but you should just be able to type: "swap" or "EJ22 swap" and come up with a bazillion threads. click on the arrow next to SEARCH and use the Advanced search - you only need to search the new generation forum for this.

Thanks ! With your search advice I got the info i need but just want to make sure im correct on a few things.

Ecu from 2.5 will plug and play as long as i have engine or intake from an 95 or 96 2.2?

The y pipe on the 2.5 will work on a 2.2 as long as the 2.2 is duel port?

Use flex plate and torque converter from 2.5?

Thanks again for the new G help because I'm an old school sube guy and this is my first new G car. I will get pics later .

Thanks ! With your search advice I got the info i need .
awesome!
Ecu from 2.5 will plug and play
there's no need to mess with wiring or the ECU. just leave that in place. and to answer the question, yes the EJ25 ECU will plug and play in your EJ25 vehicle! the EJ22 will plug right into the wiring harness in the engine bay, so no need to worry about wiring/ECU stuff.

if in the future you want to switch to an EJ22 ECU you will probably want a 1996-1998 EJ22 ECU. some people claim better performance/gas mileage, etc. even if you get a 1995 engine, don't get a 1995 ECU - it won't work.

The y pipe on the 2.5 will work on a 2.2 as long as the 2.2 is duel port?
correct. if you get a single port EJ22 (1996+) then get the exhaust header to go with it.

Use flex plate and torque converter from 2.5?
yes.

Thanks again. I found a 95 2.2 with 45k for $200. Just waiting for the junk yard to call to get it. So for $600 a got a 96 outback wagon with a little rust! YEA!

:banana:

One more question, for How many miles does the auto tranny usually go with regular service?

the automatic transmissions are not bad. the problem you will hit is not whether the trans is reliable or how long it can last but how much of a beating it's taken from the past 12 years. but to put a number on something that a number can't be put on - i'd say 150k-200k is when problems tend to start creeping in.

it's obviously been overheated - that's not good for an auto trans.

change/flush your fluid right now - just assume it's been severely overheated (the phase I EJ25 in a 96 outback is an overheating behemoth).

aside from that, there's no telling how well the previous owners rotated tires or made sure the tires matched. improper towing will also degrade internals.

if it's running and shifting fine now i'd flush all the fluid out and plan on it lasting you awhile.

there's two good things to note about this 4EAT auto. they don't typically just blow up and leave you stranded. there's usually signs and symptoms prior to failure. i wouldn't consider them a real threat to leaving you sitting somewhere. otherwise i wouldn't have one as a traveling vehicle.

and second, they are very abundant and easy to find cheap. the demand is low since failure is low (unlike the EJ25 - high demand - high prices). given the reliability a used trans is a good option.

• 3 weeks later...
I just pick up one exactly like this one for the same money yesterday! Same HG issue. Guy had it sitting in his yard 4 years finally said yes the last time I asked if he was ready to get rid of it. Now I've got 4 soobs that don't work!

Time to change your avatar to Screwbaru4 ;)