Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Substitute for Subaru Coolant

Since having my Sube's coolant replaced at stealership, they also did a pressure test for leakage, no leaks found, I've been topping up the reservoir with Peak premix; coolant level drops about an ounce or so per 1k miles.

I've been wondering what aftermarket coolant approximates the Subaru brand, it's around $27 per gallon.

Since headgasket failure in the 2.5L engine is endemic, a coolant with a gentle chemistry, like the one with the Subaru label, makes sense to use, I would think.

Since having my Sube's coolant replaced at stealership, they also did a pressure test for leakage, no leaks found, I've been topping up the reservoir with Peak premix; coolant level drops about an ounce or so per 1k miles.

I've been wondering what aftermarket coolant approximates the Subaru brand, it's around $27 per gallon.

Since headgasket failure in the 2.5L engine is endemic, a coolant with a gentle chemistry, like the one with the Subaru label, makes sense to use, I would think.

You'll have to confirm, but I believe the Zerex G-05 has a very similar chemical make-up.

Is it normal to lose even this small amount of coolant over time if there aren't any leaks? The only time we've ever added coolant to one of our Subarus was when a water pump started leaking...

Brian

remembering that an OUNCE is about 2 THIMBLES FULL how can you MEASURE it that closely? (4 oz is 1/2 of a CUP so this would be about 2 stacked silver dollars (oops, you might not know how big a cartwheel was - try maybe 9 stacked quarters) volume anyway)

Coolant goes "out" into the tank when it heats and then sucks it back in when it cools. Unless you measure in the overflow tank by DIPPING it when cold, you don't know (and even at that the volume of the dipstick will make a slight difference - meaning if you use a dipstick, don't use something like a paint stirrer because of the volume from the thivkness of the stick)

I spoke with Subaru of America rep a few weeks ago regarding the HG problems and was told that Subaru is now introducing a new blue formulation of coolant that doesn't need to be changed or flushed for at least 10-11 years and 137K miles. Late 2008 and 2009 models are shipping with this already in the pipes. The explanation was that it contained purified or distilled water without other contaminants they feel are the root of all evil in the coolant system.:-\

Alls I know is what I'm told...

Check it out with your local dealer... or Google.

Is it normal to lose even this small amount of coolant over time if there aren't any leaks? The only time we've ever added coolant to one of our Subarus was when a water pump started leaking...

Brian

Talking to other Sube owners I get responses from no coolant loss to yeah, sure, some loss due to evaporation from reservoir. Even if there's some leakage, My Sube's not running hot. Temp indicator always stays in the middle of the center zone of the temp guage.

Anyway, If head gasket failure is likely, I'd just as soon dump the Sube and get a high mpg car instead of having the head gasket replaced. I'm not sure that AWD with its lower gas mileage penalty is worth it these days, with skyrocketing gas prices. If the head gaskets are sound and remain so, I'll keep the Sube. I do like the car.

I've got the Subaru extended warranty on the head gaskets. If I take it back to the stealership and press the issue about coolant loss, they'll charge me for rechecking for leaks. If no leaks are found once again, where do I go from there? :confused:

If head gasket is replaced under warranty, the likelihood of further head gasket problems remains. I've talked to other Sube owners who have had head gaskets replaced under warranty only to have repeated failures down the line. I don't need or want the aggravation.:banghead:

aircraft engineer

remembering that an OUNCE is about 2 THIMBLES FULL how can you MEASURE it that closely? (4 oz is 1/2 of a CUP so this would be about 2 stacked silver dollars (oops, you might not know how big a cartwheel was - try maybe 9 stacked quarters) volume anyway)

Well, I just give the reservoir about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a second's worth of a splash to bring the coolant level back to where it originally was( the top line in the lower portion of the reservoir. Possibly the coolant loss is 2 ounces.

Could a small amount of coolant be evaporating due to a loose radiator cap? Although, I'd think the pressure test would have revealed the bad cap.

Are you saying the coolant is below the "L" line in the reservoir when you top it off? I was always told as long as it's between the 2 lines you're fine--someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If the engine hasn't fully cooled off when you check, it might not have all drained back in giving a false reading.

Brian

Are you saying the coolant is below the "L" line in the reservoir when you top it off? I was always told as long as it's between the 2 lines you're fine--someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If the engine hasn't fully cooled off when you check, it might not have all drained back in giving a false reading.

Brian

coolant was below the uppermost line...that's gotta be the full line, ; can't see the "L" or "F". I do check the level when engine is cold. And the radiator cap does seem tight. If it was loose, the pressure test would've found it.