Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's discuss this one

Let's first discuss:

To do X amount of work requires Y amount of energy.

All things being equal (the car, the load, the engine type) you have to apply a fixed amount of energy to get a fixed amount of work.

Grade 10 Physics, no "magic" in a can, no BS stories.

Have a nice day.

The story is also on Reuter's website. That complaint was filed two years ago in 2006, can you find an update.

This is the info/discussions I wanted to see.

I wonder how much they are paying Al Unser Jr. and his son to put there name on the product. http://ca.us.biz.yahoo.com/iw/080520/0399025.html

The owner of Ethos is in violation of a current court order for making unsubstantiated claims about a product he stole from Omstar. Note: He was just a distributor for Omstar and probably doesn't have the actual formulation...

Good detective work, I was just reading some similar articles about the company and the original product 1280X.

Thanks, I enjoyed looking into as I wanted to know too. While the Ethos turned out to be a scam, there may be something to the Omstar 1280x from the sound of that Senator/investor :rolleyes: . I may have to check them out next. ;)

The sad part was seeing the Unsers involved. One of my favorite all time drivers is Al Unser Sr. He was a true gentleman racer and I was fortunate to be there the day he won his 4th Indy 500, the one that tied AJ Foyt's record.

I enjoyed Al Jr and his early racing career too, though feel he may have fumbled fame a bit. That's what makes me sad. I really hope someday they can get the quality sponsors the Unser name deserves and make another successful run for the trophy.

that page is amazing...I'm reading the whole thing, and the facts and figures they're using are so carefully worded and based on half-truths that it's amazing. what a massive pile of BS. for someone who knows nothing about how the internal combustion engine works or how chemical reactions are performed, all their blabbering would spin them around till it makes sense.

this "un-used fuel" that you could wipe off from inside your taipipe? yes, it's an unused part of the fuel...it's called carbon. It was part of the fuel you pumped into your tank, but it's not fuel anymore...jeez. on that same idea, we could say that 100% of your fuel is leaving the back of your tailpipe...because it is, it's just been broken down and reacted with other chemical components.

wow, that we can live in a place like this, in a time like now, and this happens so easily, and apparently to so many hapless consumers, is amazing. why hasn't this been stopped? it's still going so strong, they're getting sponsorship of a major race team? AAAHHHH!!!!!:banghead:

their "info" page is so full of half-truths, facts out of context, and blatant lies it's amazing.

sorry to rant, but for someone with an ASE Master Technician certification, an associates degree in Automotive Technology, a couple years of college-level chemistry classes, and (I'd like to think) just a little fragment of common sense, this whole scam is dumbfounding to me......

~Erik~

Well, remember - the guy who tried selling the flyable car is at it again with an electric vehicle, too (Mollner...Moller?) He'll probably get farther with a CAR than a flying car

As to the "chemistry" - power increases from putting "magnets around your fuel line" (about all it would do is to stop magnetic particles in the gas). Let's try the "magical additive" that when mixed with water has the ability run IC (that's "internal combustion") engines. Mystery petroleum additives that increase mileage by MORE than the energy content of the additive. BUNK - all of it.

A couple of non-bunk items - Mercedes did a regenerative heat capture car that increased fuel mileage to about 75 or so (freon system boiling the fluid in both the exhaust stream and the radiator stream then powering a generator from the energy. A "6 cycle" engine design that adds "2 cycles" to the conventional 4 stroke - it injects plain "water" into the chamber at the top of the exhaust stroke and converts it to steam to extract more of the wasted heat after combustion. Couple that with the regenerative heat extraction and we MIGHT approach 60% energy efficiency.

There are other techniques - BUT a "simple method" - YEAH - RIGHT!! (Those are the things people used to sell as bridges - like the BROOKLYN BRIDGE, or as a miracle cure to a terminal cancer patient).

Yah gots to remember - nobody EVER managed to get the 2nd law of THERMODYNAMICS repealed YET (and never will)

Thermo -

You can't WIN (you can't create more energy than there was to start with - which is why "perpetual motion" machines are scams)

You can't LOSE (all the energy in = all the energy out. IT ALL HAS TO ADD UP- which is the demonstration proving WHY perpetual motion machines are scams - there is an additional INPUT somewhere)

YOU CAN'T EVEN BREAK EVEN (simplistically - "man neither creates nor destroys - man only increases ENTROPY*)

(*ENTROPY is a "state" of energy that introduces "randomness" into energy. ANYTHING you do to a "system" increases "entropy". When you add up the energy "in" and measure the total energy "out" any "difference" is attributable to "entropy".

A simple example is a pound of salt and a pound of pepper - put them into a container and shake them. In order to separate them, you must AGAIN input more energy. Mixing was the "entropy state". It's only intended as an example, not as an experiment)