Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Imp. hunting idle with AC on.

The GF's car is doing strange things with the AC on. If you push in the clutch with the AC on the idle will hunt back and forth between 1500 and 2000 RPM with about a 0.5 - 1 Hz freqency.

She called the dealer and they claim it's "normal" for the idle to change with the AC on, but she neglected to tell them the frequency of the hunting.

This certianly can't be right.

Also the car has never idled right to my satisfaction. It's always had a weird, rough idle that isn't solid at a specific RPM. It's in the neighborhood of 750 to 1000 all the time, but it's never the same and it feels rough.

My hands are tied because the thing is under warantee so I have to light a fire under the dealers asses to do something about it. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems, what the solutions are, or what potentially I should sugest the dealer inspect should they claim there is nothing wrong. I want this foolishness fixed before the warantee runs out and it's MY problem :rolleyes:.

GD

Does it do it pretty much all the time? If so, your best bet would be to take it in and have them sit in the car with you while it does it. Then they have to look you in the eye and tell you it's "normal."

Our local dealer couldn't diagnose a toasted clutch in my mom's car. "Could not duplicate problem." After they told us that the second time, we had to limp it to our (at the time) newly discovered independent shop because the clutch was slipping so badly. There was barely any lining left.

Sorry for the tangent, but the moral is to be persistent and don't let them brush you off. I hate to say this but maybe you should be with her for this... my girlfriend's been taken advantage of at repair shops before when she was by herself... From your description, there's clearly something going on and they need to address it.

Brian

My 02 Impreza has the exact same problem you described, except it's an auto rather than manual. The idle is rough and inconsistent, and fluctuates 750-1000.

The problem improved after I installed the air filter correctly, with all of the clamps on the air box properly latched. You think buying a used Subaru from an established dealership, they would check these kind of things...

But then again, it came with 2 of the 4 tires having small punctures and nails in them, as well as a blown front strut, and a bad rear diff.

My solution is to tell your girlfriend she doesn't need AC. It's Oregon, not Florida. :)

That, or go to the dealership, and do what I did with my tires full of nails. Don't leave until they make things right, even if it means having an arguement with the manager right on the sales floor on a busy day. It's not what I wanted to do, but what I had to do.

There is a reflash for that model that will likely fix the problem

Take it to the dealer and ask them to check to see if it has been done

The only way they will know if it's been done is to hook it up to the SSM III scan tool

SEA#3

Im not 100 percent but I dont think the 07 Impreza applies to the reflash. The last 07 Impreza I tried to reflash with the monitor didnt have an available file.

Also, the cars are getting a little more sophisticated in that they sense mixture and temp and such and adjust idle and such kindof weird now.

While I wouldnt call it "normal" it is for the car in many cases.

I recommend a smooth calm approach, not trying to light butts on this. Just ask that they call Subaru and ask if there will be a reflash available soon for this model (if it isnt...it certainly may be now).

My solution is to tell your girlfriend she doesn't need AC. It's Oregon, not Florida. :)

That would work except her mother is a lung-transplant patient - can't drive around here, can't be exposed to the sun much, can't take the heat, ect, ect.

But I see your point ;)

I'll get a fire lit under them.

GD

I recommend a smooth calm approach, not trying to light butts on this. Just ask that they call Subaru and ask if there will be a reflash available soon for this model (if it isnt...it certainly may be now).

Yeah - she has an appointment tommorow morning. Unfortunately (or fortunately for them perhaps) I'll be at work. If she can't get them to make it right the next step will be to call me in.

Pretty it will not be, should they attempt to brush me off.

And if I'm not effective - her mother will be there. Angry japanese lady on oxygen!

GD

Also, the cars are getting a little more sophisticated in that they sense mixture and temp and such and adjust idle and such kindof weird now.

Yeah - it's too bad we can't go back to the early 90's systems like my SS. Simple, reliable, and built for $1.00 a gallon premium...... wait that last one makes me mad.... sorta :mad:

GD

True but the gas mileage that these are getting (at least the customers I have talked to) is getting a lot closer to Civic numbers than I ever thought possible. Two that reported very high 30's in 5 speed Base imprezas. Certainly better than early 90's and more displacement than then too.

The ones I saw do this had nothing to do with the A/C being on. Just the engine cold usually was the complaint. Of course one lady wasnt taking her foot off the gas when depressing the clutch pedal. She also wanted to know why her car was leaking oil from the firewall every time she shut it off and wouldnt believe that it was water from the AC condenser.

I certainly hope she is adding oil to the engine if its leaking that badly. :)

True but the gas mileage that these are getting (at least the customers I have talked to) is getting a lot closer to Civic numbers than I ever thought possible. Two that reported very high 30's in 5 speed Base imprezas. Certainly better than early 90's and more displacement than then too.

I wonder how much of that is related to straight mechanical design changes though. Early improvments like the 2.2 design change in 96/97, and head/valve designs.

It is amazing though I know what you mean. I think it's mostly related to the ability of the huge/improved catalytic converters to burn off the stuff from running lean. Fuel burns more cleanly at richer mixtures than an engine actually needs at cruise so in the past they have had to hold back leaning the engines out to avoid excessive tailpipe emissions - the afterburning systems were not advanced enough to handle a fully leaned out cruise mixture.

At least those are my theories on the matter.

Turbo's are always poor on gas though - extra fuel just for cooling. Even the new WRX's aren't that great compared to the NA base Imp.

GD

And if I'm not effective - her mother will be there. Angry japanese lady on oxygen!

GD

Oh man, this just reminded me of a story. One day me and a buddy, who has a birthday a couple days apart from mine, had to go get our drivers licenses renewed. As we came out of the DPS office there was a State Trooper about to give a middle aged oriental lady her drivers test.

He was doing the pre-test inspection of her car to make sure the blinkers and horn and such worked. He would tell her to turn on the left turn signal, and since she didn't understand or speak English very well, she would just throw up her hands, look all over the dash like she had never seen it before, all the while talking and asking questions in her native tongue.

This goes on for several minutes through several attempts to get her to do SOMETHING. Me and my buddy are just cracking up (quietly) and practically rolling on the floor of the truck laughing. The poor trooper just drops his head and shakes it. You could tell he is having a baaad day.

Finally he looks over at us and tells us to "go on". So we left knowing he was about to fail her and it likely wasn't going to be a pretty scene. :lol:

Not exactly true... some of us don't like anything over 78 - and that's too hot for me. Not kidding. The house is at 55 in the winter. Really.

Joking aside, I don't know if it's been changed in newer models, but my Imp uses the A/C in the winter when the defroster is on. If the A/C's making the idle wonky it won't just be a summer problem.

As far as the 'go with her' comment, I have to agree. Some guys think 'just a girl, charge extra, she won't know' and get away with it. Don't let them. I've had people aplenty over the years try to throw b******t at me, and it's miraculous how they backpedal when aircraft-engineer gets on the phone, or worse, shows up in person. We're two apples who didn't fall far from the tree. Now we're both going to tell them we want the real opinion, no bs, or we're out of there. You may have to do the same.

I know I've walked out of a few Chevy dealers over the years, but I was surprised to have to do it to two Subaru dealers in the Phoenix area. Not all dealers are alike; I've already had three Subaru dealers go above and beyond to get me what I needed - at very fair prices. Two more wouldn't give me the time of day for free.

If you can't get any satisfaction in Portland, you could try Washington dealers, although the gas expense might not be worth it. Absolutely stumped? I don't think Smart Service (Shoreline or Mukilteo, WA) has failed yet. It might be worth the cost to have them diagnose the problem, even if it's not covered under warranty. Then you have hard copy to shove in your dealer's face and say 'here's what's wrong, boys, have fun.'

(READ PAGE TWO... DUH.... Oops...) Hits self on head.....