Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Conditioner problems 98 OB

First i did search though old threads and didn't find the answer to my questions so i will post.

My AC just died, blows warm air. Here is what I know:

• The dash light come on. Does this necessarily mean the switch itself is ok? or is this a bad presumption?
  • The belt for the AC is intact.
  • I don't know how to tell if the ac clutch is engaging. I see the connection on top of the compressor (3 connections) . Are there any voltage checks i can do to see that the AC clutch is engaging? can i probe directly on that connector?
  • I am thinking that if the clutch is engaging and there is no cooling then i have one of two problems; a bad compressor or a leak on one of the lines.
  • Is there some way to verify a bad compressor? (without gauges)
  • I read about a technique to check for leaks with soapy water. I have done that with propane gas lines. Any particular places to look first?
  • Assuming i have a leak how much time do i have roughly before I need to assume the drier will need to be replaced too?
  • Recommendations on types of repair places. ie. avoid the chains for instance
  • Too many questions?

thanks, this site has helped me immeasurably.

Joe

You should notice if the AC clutch is engaged or not. If the clutch is not engaged, the pulley part will spin and the very front part won't. With the clutch engaged, both parts spin.

You can test this by having someone else press the AC button, and watch the AC compressor pulley. Even if you don't know exactly what is what, you'll see something start and stop spinning. If nothing changes when the AC button is depressed, you probably have an electrical issue.

You should notice if the AC clutch is engaged or not. If the clutch is not engaged, the pulley part will spin and the very front part won't. With the clutch engaged, both parts spin.
Thanks. Ok i just did that. No it does not appear like the clutch is engaging.

BTW I did check the 10A fuse for the AC while i was in there and that looks ok. and i guess there are 4 relays as well.

Ok where do I go to next to troubleshoot this?

thanks

To a shop that can put gauges on your system to see if there is nay pressure. Its sounds like you have a simple leak someplace.

Some here will say just put a can of stop leak in it, but unless you know what your doing, take it to a shop and have it fixed properly.

nipper

but wait nipper based on what legacy777 said doesn't that point to an electrical problem since the it appears there should be power to engage the ac clutch yet nothing happens.

I mean unless if there is no freon then somehow the clutch won't engage. I just am not sure how this works.

Low pressure can cause a short engagement. No pressure can cause no engagement. Overly high pressure can cause no engagement.

The days of AC being simple are long gone. You can pull your hair out for a few days and maybe never get it right, or just have a shop do it and be done with it. If there is no pressure, the clutch will not engage. Also AC can seriously hurt you and the enviorment if you dont know what your doing.

What your looking for is akin to your car not starting because its out of gas, so therefor you must need a new engine.

Either way 1st step on any ac issue is to check the pressures. Its rare for there to be an electrical issue on the AC systems of these cars.

KISS

Keep it simple

nipper

Low pressure can cause a short engagement. No pressure can cause no engagement. Overly high pressure can cause no engagement.

The days of AC being simple are long gone. You can pull your hair out for a few days and maybe never get it right, or just have a shop do it and be done with it. If there is no pressure, the clutch will not engage. Also AC can seriously hurt you and the enviorment if you dont know what your doing.

What your looking for is akin to your car not starting because its out of gas, so therefor you must need a new engine.

Either way 1st step on any ac issue is to check the pressures. Its rare for there to be an electrical issue on the AC systems of these cars.

KISS

Keep it simple

nipper

thank you , i will look for a qualified shop

Ok I thought I would post this to let you know how this turned out.

After I read Nipper's response I took the car over to my local Valvoline Quick lube place. (I like them BTW because they never oversell, the mgr tells me they are not on commission which is the reason)

They had a free checkout which essentially means they take the existing refrigerant out of the system and measure it. In my case there was like .1kg left or basically nothing. My refrigerant was gone and the Mgr who did the work was real familiar with Subarus and he tells me that the AC on Subarus are generally quite good and this is probably a leak. End of free test.

The next step is to put a vacuum on the system and see if it holds for 5 min. It did. So that means nothing major wrong. (he had done a quick visual first as well)

Next he put a measured amount of refrigerant into the system along with a fluorescent dye. The dye allows it to be checked with a black light. Started it up and the car started getting cold (Compressor is good!) , but right away a leak is visible at the high side of the Compressor (didn't even need a black light for that) He did black light test the rest of the lines, but didn't find anything.

So he replaced a little tiny O-ring and showed me the old one that had split. Charged up the system and then did a temperature test. Ambient air temperature and the criteria is at least 20 degree differential, but he said a good system will do much, much better than that. Sure enough mine got down to 48 degrees(!)

So I was out the door for a grand total of $110. Kudos to the Valvoline place (Ellicott City) for not only fixing my Subaru's AC, but also explaining the process every step of the way. (I can be such a pain in the butt). He also mentioned that a small amount of refrigerant dissipates from the system every year.

So I learned my lesson, unless you have access to a machine like that it is cheaper and easier to have someone else take care of your AC.