Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Used Soob shopping - skip the Legacies??

I'm in the market for a used Subaru and am wondering if I should just skip the Legacies and Foresters entirely and stick with the Imprezas. I'm not very mechanically inclined (though I've been doing some web reading) and thought I would ask for advice.

I owned a 97 Legacy Outback wagon about 5 years ago and ran into the dreaded head gasket issue. I ended up getting a new engine put in the car. This makes me wary of buying another Legacy. From what I've read, the 97-99 were DOHC, and in 2000 the Legacies switched to SOHC, but that only meant that the leaks were more likely to be external as opposed to internal. Did Subaru ever resolve the engine issues with the Legacies? If so, what year/size should I look for?

I also understand that the Foresters have similar engines and frequent head gasket problems, which makes me want to stay away from them as well.

I'm looking at getting an Impreza. All my experiences with them have been secondhand but positive. Are there any mechanical issues I should be looking for when buying one? I know I want a manual, but can't be too picky if there are only automatics to choose from.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I'm in a bind because while I was out of state, my car was destroyed in floods, so I've got to find a car here and drive it back to Alaska. I want to make sure I'm getting something that will be relatively trouble-free, especially for that long drive home!

Well, for one, the engine that was in the 1997-1999 Legacy was also in the Impreza 2.5RS and Forester so...

If you're *really that worried about HG issues, either get one that's been fixed or get a Legacy/Forester/Impreza after 2002. At that point in time, they had fixed the gasket issue.

Or get a Legacy before 1997 or get one that has the 2.2.

Took 236XXX miles to kill the 2.2L in Hocrest's 97 Leg. He never changed the tranny fluid, just basically topped it off, did the brakes and changed the oil. Autocrossed for a few years, drove it mad crazy and still she wouldn't die until 1 day the engine seized and AAA came and towed us to CT. Threw in another 2.2 and she's still going strong. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't rule out Legs all together.

It depends on how old of a Subaru you're looking for. 1990-2000 Legacies and Imprezas with the EJ22 2.2 liter engine don't have the internal headgasket issue. I think the 2001 Impreza was the last Subaru here to have the 2.2. Check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71362

If you're in the market for a late-model subie (after 2003 or so) they basically all use the same engine, and my understanding is the incidence of problems is fairly low as long as you use the "coolant conditioner" when changing the coolant.

I might take some heat for pointing this out, but not every Phase 1 EJ25 blows its head gasket. It's just that the percentage of engines that have are relatively high compared to the EJ22. Key word being relative. I've heard in the neighborhood of 15%.

There are plenty of other cars from other manufacturers that have their share of serious engine problems. Engine sludge in VW 1.8 turbos and Saab turbos and Toyota V6's comes to my mind as just as serious of a problem.

Do yourself a favor and what ever model you decide on, test drive it thoroughly checking for torque bind (drive really slowly in a figure-8 pattern in a parking lot and if it lurches or sticks, that's it). Also, one that has good service records and has been taken care of is obviously a plus.

Brian

Get a BD legacy!

mine has been awesome, and well I bought it w/ expected issues but headgaskers were done.

If you find one you like, PAY a good mechianc to check the headgaskets and also the transmission..

But hell even if they break..you can score a used tranny between 300-500$ and a used engine in the same price range. :banana:

My mom owned an outback legacy wagaon (96) and I own a Legacy sedan, both 2.5L and we've seen no problems ;D that were not expected.

not all legacy's have the EJ25. some..up until 2000 or so, still have the EJ22. personally i think a legacy with an EJ22 is the best bet and the 1996+ ones actually look nice and have lots of options...leather, heated seats, 6 disc changes, etc. even if yours doesn't have it, that stuff is easily swapped in place.

i would get anything with an EJ22 in it over an EJ25. that includes quite a bit of legacies, which i favor personally. they're larger and nicer with fewer "noises" in my experience. but they're heavier too.

the major subaru (or AWD) specific thing to look for is to look for torque bind in the transmission, do a search here and read about it. and the tires should match in size and tread wear.

also keep in mind that all EJ25's and all 1997+ EJ22's are interference engines. that means the engine will likely suffer severe damage if the belt breaks. so if the seller doesn't know when the belt was replaced it'll need a new timing belt...and possible a water pump depending on miles and which engine. if you can't do that yourself that's a $400-$800 maintenance.

if you get an EJ25 Legacy - get one from 2000 and up, the external head gasket leaks are MUCH nicer. all you have to do is keeping refilling the coolant, they won't leave you stranded when they fail like the older internal leaking EJ25's (DOHC).

Foresters have the exact same EJ25 engine, so in those terms it's the same engine and same problems.

the %15 number on head gasket failure is not useful. there's no way to verify that number. those that have owned a couple subarus will attach to that number and those that are in the market or business would guess it's too low - but it's not quantifiable anyway.

davebugs, subaru360, myself, and others see blown headgasket EJ25's every where. every single one i've bought with a good EJ25 has already had the head gaskets (at least one) replaced.