Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snorkel/intake idea for 2000 Outback - help!

So, I've been thinking about the snorkels others have built for their Subarus...and I really want to make one. Problem is, my car gets seen a lot by my clients at work and I can't have ABS dangling off the side of my car if I'm to look at all professional...so here is what I need help with: I want to build a stealth snorkel setup similar to the ones on Humvees.

I drew a picture:

UnderhoodIntake.jpg[/img]

The red is the basic path of the stock intake. It is an ingenius design by Subaru. Ram-air. Awesome. And it is pretty high up off the ground. The problem is, that's the first place to get totally douched with water and mud when bombing puddles, etc.

The light blue path is my proposed snorkel design. I could remove the elbow on the airbox and form ABS or some other tubing to guide the tract upward to the back of the hood/cowl area. This plastic section can easily be cut to facilitate the addition of a Hummer-type intake box/cage-thing. I will need to hack through the firewall section a bit, but that doesn't bother me.

My plan is to have this stealth intake mounted permanently (it will look bad-A to anyone who understands it) - pokind slightly out of the cowl area, but retain the ability to mount a long snorkel tube to it, should I choose to take the monster through the deep stuff.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, guys!

- Tyler

I always wondered if you couldn't do something like that with the scoop. same kind of thing with the intercoolers but air intake. I guess that isn't a 2.5 though no scoop.

There is definitely no scoop - it is a 2.5, however. It's a 2000...no scoop on any models that year.

777 - There must be a way to divert the flow of water away from the intake tract...perhaps if it were elevated an inch or so. The area will be sealed around the base of the "protrusion"...like, with silicone or something.

• 2 months later...
I'm reviving it...any ideas? I'm going to work on the snork idea again. This is gonna be sweet!

I did this to my 01 Forester.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/cai-half-snorkel-41252/

It has worked fine.

Everyone will tell you "it will get wet,to much air turbulance,blah blah blah"but with a K&N air filter you will have no problems.

Edited by frogstar7055

Thanks! That is exactly what I mant to do! (And here I thought I was being innovative...apparently someone else beat me to it!)

One question: Where is the end of the intake? Is it up in the windshield drainage area? Do you have any more pictures or tips? And what kind of flexible hose in that you used?

Again - thanks! You are a hero!

Thanks! Do you, by chance, have any photos with the hood down? I'd like to see what it looks like in the drain area.

That picture of the flange is inside the drain area.

These are the only other shots I've got with the cover off the windshield drain area.

Their are no vent holes in the cover directly above the inlet flange in the cover.

flange2a.jpg

flange1a.jpg

With the cover on and the hood down it looks bone stock.

You will have a distinctive ROAR when you hammer the gas peddle but sounds normal at speed or during

mild acceleration.

Edited by frogstar7055

I always thought it'd be cool to use the hood vents off an Impreza RS or OBS, remove the shield from beneath it, and run your intake ducting directly to the open vent on the passenger side. Not too many people wanting to cut a couple holes in their hoods though...

I always thought it'd be cool to use the hood vents off an Impreza RS or OBS, remove the shield from beneath it, and run your intake ducting directly to the open vent on the passenger side. Not too many people wanting to cut a couple holes in their hoods though...

Ooh, not a bad idea. I kind of like it. That short intake tract would sound excellent as well.

I wonder how ONE RS/OBS/22B vent would look on the Legacy hood? Would that be ricey? Who can photoshop that for me? :)

Oh, I see. Totally stock looking from the outside. Sweet! No water issues at all? That is surprising. And comforting! ;) How long have you been running this setup?

No water issues at all and I've been running it for 2 months now.

Ooh, not a bad idea. I kind of like it. That short intake tract would sound excellent as well.

I wonder how ONE RS/OBS/22B vent would look on the Legacy hood? Would that be ricey? Who can photoshop that for me? :)

I would think this wouldn't be a good idea without some kind of drain in the intake tract under the hood,otherwise it would fill with water when the car is just sitting in the rain.

No water issues at all and I've been running it for 2 months now.

I would think this wouldn't be a good idea without some kind of drain in the intake tract under the hood,otherwise it would fill with water when the car is just sitting in the rain.

Some kind of drain/water diverter shouldn't be too hard to work up...did you make something like this in yours?

Some kind of drain/water diverter shouldn't be too hard to work up...did you make something like this in yours?

Well, rather than running the duct straight to the hood vent, fab a "box" that is open on top and seals against the hood when shut. Run your ducting into the side of the "air box" at the vent. Water would fall into the box, and not be falling directly into the air duct itself.

I don't have photoshop, so instead of putting a vent on a Legacy, I just painted over the other vent and scoop on an OBS:

21liy5i.jpg

I think I'd go ahead and do both. Keep thing symmetrical. Although, you could consider putting one of the mini-scoops over the solo-vent.

I was talking about just a universal mini-scoop, but these are made for the Impreza hood vent fitting, which doesn't really do anything easy for a Legacy owner, but anyways:

http://www.etsracing.com/3..jpg

http://tyneteestuning.co.uk/images/DSC00090A.JPG

http://tyneteestuning.co.uk/images/WAGON.jpg

http://www.etsracing.com/001%20006.jpg

Edited by JT95
Added additional info

Their are drains on either side of the winshield drain area.

I drove it in a drenching downpour, I opened the filter box and the filter was dry.

All I know is what I did works and I won't suck up water in a mud pit and blow up the motor again.

That picture of the flange is inside the drain area.

These are the only other shots I've got with the cover off the windshield drain area.

Their are no vent holes in the cover directly above the inlet flange in the cover.

flange2a.jpg

flange1a.jpg

With the cover on and the hood down it looks bone stock.

You will have a distinctive ROAR when you hammer the gas peddle but sounds normal at speed or during

mild acceleration.

How do you filter the air?

nipper

The filter is in the big black box.

My 01 is map based,maf systems would need more routing of hose to make it work.

Yeah, my Sube is maf, so you have to take that into consideration. I'm actually going to fab up something with an open hood vent. Honestly, not sure if sucking in cooler air from outside will make that much difference for a 2.2, but heck, it's fun to piddle and experiment...

Yeah, my Sube is maf, so you have to take that into consideration. I'm actually going to fab up something with an open hood vent. Honestly, not sure if sucking in cooler air from outside will make that much difference for a 2.2, but heck, it's fun to piddle and experiment...

Make sure you have drains on any hood type scoop, otherwise your engine may drown. The fresh air intake at the cowl actually gets more air then a hood scoop will. The sooby scoop is in the slip stream to some degree, but the base of the windshield is a high pressure spot, and will function better.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...
Make sure you have drains on any hood type scoop, otherwise your engine may drown. The fresh air intake at the cowl actually gets more air then a hood scoop will. The sooby scoop is in the slip stream to some degree, but the base of the windshield is a high pressure spot, and will function better.

nipper

Good to know.

Makes me feel even better about the way I did it.