Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why is it still missing? Help please.

A couple months ago my wife came home complaining that our 90 Legacy was running rough. The plugs were kind of fouled and so I swapped them out and voila, running well again.

Two days ago after I'd gotten some gas about 5 miles later it started running like it was missing. It develops a bad shake at about 45mph that goes away if you let off of accelerator. In park other then a bit of a rough sound at about 2k it revs just fine, it is only when it is driving.

Thinking it was spark related, I pulled the plugs, shined up the contact points, put new wires on. Then to make sure there wasn't a fuel issue I put in some fuel line antifreeze and changed the fuel filter. I drove it about 15 miles and no change. HELP

Excelent - the gap should be 1.1mm or .044".

Most people find the plugs need to be replaced about ever year as well as the wires. The automatic's and the turbo's use a hotter coil and will burn through plugs and wires quickly. The NA manual's don't seem to have nearly the trouble but the hotter spark is neccesary at least for the turbo charged versions. Not sure why the Auto's got the hot coil like the turbo. Seems wasteful to me.

GD