Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stranded in Portland this time

If anyone near Jewell Junction, OR (1hr NW of Portland on 26) can help, my friend's 90 Legacy 5MT has either a clutch that's stuck "open" or a transmission that's borked.

My guess is the tranny as it's apparently got a gear oil leak. The car does not seem to have power in any gear. Shifting reportedly feels normal.

She lives here in Spokane and is trying to get back from a long road trip.

Meghan is out of area for her cell phone. Please post here if you can help with diagnosis, repair, or crashing/camping space (3 people and 2 dogs). The trans and rearend are 4.11.

Thanks,

Andy

...Bill, thanks but it's an AWD Legacy so the rears would have power even if the front didn't.

Maybe... I tried to get a 90 Leg to move with the rear driveshaft disconnected and even with full power went maybe 3 inches in 2 minutes. Might depend on the condition of the center diff.

90-model trannies seem notorious for bad input shaft bearings and exploded clutch disks. (#1 probably leading to #2... so to speak ;) ). That and shot shifter bushings, but if she had been driving it she would have noticed the slop.

Sorry, I am not much closer to where she is stuck.