Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I installed a OEM knock sensor in the 99 Imp. Drove the car for 50+ miles tonight and no CEL. I'll say its fixed.:banana:

On the 97 OB the jury is still out. I installed another OEM knock sensor in the OB. After starting the car the CEL came on. This time it was a "p1134 undocumented code" whatever that is. I cleared the code, drove the car until it got to operating temp without a CEL. I'm going to start and drive it again when I get home this AM to see the CEL comes back on.

On the 97 OB the jury is still out. I installed another OEM knock sensor in the OB. After starting the car the CEL came on. This time it was a "p1134 undocumented code" whatever that is. I cleared the code, drove the car until it got to operating temp without a CEL. I'm going to start and drive it again when I get home this AM to see the CEL comes back on.
From what info I was able to dig up:

P1134 is Subaru speak for an ECM internal problem, specifically "Front Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Micro-Computer Problem."

Unfortunately the only cure is to replace the ecm (ecu). A Subaru remanufactured ecm is said to be "reasonably priced" as apparently this problem was covered under a recall on some models. (is yours a manual transmission?)

It is suggested you call the dealer with your VIN to determine if your car was included in the recall, and to get the correct ecm.

Note: The above info is dated 2005 and was referring to a 2000 OBW 5 speed. It might be worth having the dealer do a scan/diagnosis to determine if this applies to your car too before plunking down the bucks on an ecm.

From what info I was able to dig up:

P1134 is Subaru speak for an ECM internal problem, specifically "Front Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Micro-Computer Problem."

Unfortunately the only cure is to replace the ecm (ecu). A Subaru remanufactured ecm is said to be "reasonably priced" as apparently this problem was covered under a recall on some models. (is yours a manual transmission?)

It is suggested you call the dealer with your VIN to determine if your car was included in the recall, and to get the correct ecm.

Note: The above info is dated 2005 and was referring to a 2000 OBW 5 speed. It might be worth having the dealer do a scan/diagnosis to determine if this applies to your car too before plunking down the bucks on an ecm.

Hey your just full of good news! I just did a 2.2/2.5 swap into this car could that have anything to do with it? With emission laws the way they are today the last thing I want is the dealer poking around my car. It is a 5spd MT.

I've got a ecu from a AT lego same year would that work? I've owned this car for 6 years never had a ecu problem, now what it went? I'm going out now to drive it around again, see if that CEL stays off.

edit: Just got back no CEL Looks good!

I just did a 2.2/2.5 swap into this car could that have anything to do with it?

Only if you changed the ecm too.

I've got a ecu from a AT lego same year would that work?

No

I've owned this car for 6 years never had a ecu problem, now what it went?
Well, the example I found was 5 years old before it messed up.
I'm going out now to drive it around again, see if that CEL stays off.

edit: Just got back no CEL Looks good!

Good! Keep your fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update: The P1134 is gone. Now it's throwing a P1143. Which I've tracked down to the lack of a purge canister setup. I can make the code change to a P0441 by replacing the vac hose on the baro. sensor with a filter. Any ideas how I can either rig a canister system or fool the ecu into thinking there is one?

Well I think I've got the ecu fooled into seeing a purge flow! I also saw how to rig the EVAP system so it'll actually work. I blocked a hose from the baro sensor. I drove it to the parts store and back, about 6 miles total not much but not CEL. The CEL had been coming on as soon as the car was started, so I'm hopful. I need some CEL free drive time before my emissions insp Thursday morning, to clear any flags that maybe set. I'll have the EVAP sys done up right by then I'll be good for another 2 years.:banana: I just need 1 good day on Thursday:rolleyes:

its not a bad knock sensor. if the connector fits, it will work. I've had this problem before after I replaced the knock sensor 3 times.. Flash the ecu and be dont with it

No, the problem has long since been fixed with a new knock sensor. And the p1143 was due to a lack of a working evap system which is also fixed. It passed emissions inspection but failed the "safety inspection" for a bad front axle which has also been replaced. I'm now working on a bad front u-joint in the propelleshaft, the last (I hope) issue with this car. Thanks for the input though.