Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hehe...remove very carefully. If it's really siezed in there might need heat and vise grips to get it out. Then inspect the pin and bore. The pin can be replaced, but if the bore is corrdoed then that can be trouble. Let's see what picds I have on file.......

front-caliper-96.gif

permatex24110.jpgpermatex24115.jpgneohp800.gif

and the new purple ceramic...don't have a pic of that yet.

niglube1.jpg

padstootight.gif

That's the lock pin, which has a rubber grommet on the end of it. They tend to be more difficult to remove. Try attaching the the caliper to the lock pin, tighten the bolt, and swing the caliper back and forth in order to work that pin loose. Then remove the caliper and grasp the end of the pin with a pair of vise-grips, being careful not to distort the pin, and pull outward as you turn the pin.

If that doesn't work, reattach the caliper to the lock pin, pivot the caliper away from the rotor and hit the caliper with a soft-faced mallet to work the pin out. If the brake hose does not allow this, the easiest thing would be to remove in order to accomplish this task.

I fought with this same issue not too long ago. I spent about 2 hours whacking, twisting, and cussing to no avail. Pulled the whole shootin' match off (caliper and bracket) and put it in a vice, added some penetrating oil and 15 minutes later drove it out with a rod of metal of similar diameter, took a couple minutes.

I ended up buying a new caliper semi loaded with the bracket included. The caliper probably was OK but the extreme temperatures it experienced must have caused some damage. Either way, easy repair. Bled the fluid on all four wheels and back on the road. Replacing rotors this weekend since heat warped the passenger front. Sometimes it is just easier to spend the extra money - still less than the local shop.