Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brand new subaru-- problems already...?

We just bought a brand new Subaru Impreza 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, we noticed that there was water coming up through the mat in the passenger seat. Under the floor mat we found a pitcher of water. We removed the mat to let it dry out thinking it was a freak event, however an hour later noticed drips of water running down from underneath the dashboard area (so I'm guessing it's the air conditioning not draining properly which shouldn't be happening in a brand new car). I would think that it would take weeks of these drips to produce that much water underneath the mat and since there was a floor mat, we didn't notice the water until it had piled up. My fear is that it has been dripping since we got the car-- I can't imagine that much water coming out at one time.

We are taking it in to the dealer today, but I want to know what might be the problem--- It's brand new and we bought a Subaru because of it's reputation for NOT having problems. Also, what rights do we have--- I'm very allergic to mold and am TERRIFIED this might be a problem now--- Can we expect them to detail that area and spray some sort of mold deterrent or is that on us? We haven't even had the car for 30 days or made our first payment and we're already having problems... starting to wonder if we should have gone with the VW. Also, on a side note-- the tire pressure gage keeps coming on about 1-2 times a week. Is this normal..?. Are the sensors just EXTRA sensitive... ? Thanks for any comments or advice!

Edited by kappagirl

take it back to the dealer, they'll fix it and i doubt you'll have mold issues. you'll notice an odor if you do. being new and not having sat that long and not having dirt, crud and old wrinkles and nastiness for water and spores to really soak in, i'll bet you'll be fine. have you noticed much smell yet? airing it out should do wonders.

judgement calls like "I thought Subaru's were reliable" based on one experience doesn't make them unreliable. if a problem in one vehicle means they aren't reliable then they aren't any reliable auto manufacturers in the world.

i worked at a place that's really good at making reliable vehicles, capable of millions of miles with zero maintenance - NASA. but you might not like the half a billion dollar price tag!

Kappagirl,

I'd be willing to bet that the guys have hit on your water problem. Just like those window air conditioners you see dripping water when they are running, your HVAC system does the same thing. The water is supposed to run out of the bottom of the heater box in the car and go through a rubber hose that exits through the firewall behind the engine, and dump onto the ground. If that hose comes unconnected, or the end of it becomes plugged, the water builds up inside the heater box and eventually goes onto the floor. It is a very common occurrence for every car manufacturer with AC. The fix is simple, and from what you describe I agree with the guys that you should experience no mould issues. As for your tire monitor, if one tire is losing air through a nail hole, a leak around the tire bead on the rim, or because it has a bad tire valve, the monitor will indicate it until you get the problem corrected. At this stage, unless you have a nail in the tire, the dealership should happily rectify the problem for you. Again this is very common for every car manufacturer. Trust us ..... you bought the right car! Good Luck!

The carpet w/padding needs to come out of the car and draped over a table or fence upside down to dry in the sun. Otherwise the padding will take forever to dry and will turn moldy.

My first day on the job at a Houston dealership after graduating from tech was right after a flood. There were about 300 cars with their carpet drying upside down in the sun on every speck of free space. Looked like a 3rd world laundry service. I can imagine what's it's going to be like down there for the next few weeks. Glad I'm not there!