Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a 93 impreza l wagon - 231k 1.8 auto

bought it dirt cheap as a fixer upper - needs axles, brakes, engine work, a front pass door, maybe a tranny and definitely an appointment with a milkcrate full of rattlecans (i can't stand a fire engine red car!).

had 185/60/14's up front and 175/70/14's out back and the front cv's are all toast. all that's left of the boots is the fragments of rubber trapped under the steel bands...:lol:

tranny engages R and D just fine but shifting gears while driving is another story. it rev's between gears and doesn't always go into 4th. there's a light in the dash that says "POWER" in green and it flashes when you start the car, 16 times i think. i'm pretty sure i'll end up replacing the engine & tc but i'd like to save the tranny if possible, any ideas? also, i'm wondering if the different tire sizes may have jacked anything else up like the rear end or whatever. i swapped the brand new 185/70/14's from the legacy onto it already and i'll get to the axles & brakes this weekend.

also, how can i read then clear the codes out of the ecu and tcu? the cel comes on once in a while (maybe 1 in 10 times starting then it goes out once you start driving) and the flashing power light is a tcu code alert, right? i have an obd II auto x-ray reader but no port that matches anything under the impreza's dash. its kind of a mess under there, too - a crappy aftermarket stereo/alarm install job sans electrical tape and zipties....

i'm thinking about sneaking a low-mileage 2.2 in there run off the 1.8's harness & ecu, that odometer keeps whispering in my ear that i might save some money down the road that way...

i'll be tearing into it this weekend once the parts i've ordered so far are in but i haven't checked much yet except by driving it. should be a good car once these things are taken care of and i know you guys'll help me get it there.:)

Find a wreck 2.2 with a 5spd trans and swap the complete engine and trans over, along with the rear diff.

You may also have good half shafts.... off the wreck and other parts.

Auto trans with that many miles and shifting problems are most likely due for a rebuild.

it seems like the trans is toast but you're thinking about an engine swap?

i'd think the other way around - the engine is good, start thinking about a trans swap.

the mismatched tires will fry the transmission, not something else. they can strain things like cv's but for the most part the real kicker is the trans. as with any auto trans, start by changing the fluid. next step is change the trans.

it seems like the trans is toast but you're thinking about an engine swap?

i'd think the other way around - the engine is good, start thinking about a trans swap.

the mismatched tires will fry the transmission, not something else. they can strain things like cv's but for the most part the real kicker is the trans. as with any auto trans, start by changing the fluid. next step is change the trans.

i'm only thinking engine swap since i have one with way less miles and i don't want to just sit on it/sell it but the car needs a tranny for sure, it doesn't want to engage R now...

just got a 93 impreza l wagon - 231k 1.8 auto

Same car as I have , engine will never fail , keep it.

Transmission ? I don't know , people said to me , one year ago :

it is toast. After cleaning the inside , changing the fluid 5 times and some Lucas , it is still there without problems.

And more 25.000 Km