Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery noise: any takers?

88 GL (Junior, for those that remember) FWD Sedan, 3AT, 212k+ miles...

Turn the key to "ON" without starting the engine and it sounds as if something is trying to run underneath the car. Louder on the driver's side, but I can't pinpoint the location. My guess is fuel pump, but since it is a new noise, I'm not really sure. I really need this car to last 6-8 months (when I can, without pause, replace the beast), and I really hope it is either nothing too major or a quick and simple fix. I'd listen for the sound while the car is running, but the exhaust leak doesn't let me hear much. I'm just probing for ideas as to what it could be or how to narrow it down.

There's the click of a relay firing, then the electric whirring of something, then the click from the relay again shutting down after about 2-3 seconds.

Won't be able to T/S tonight, wife borrowed the car while her Legacy's in the shop (and until she can drive the WRX).

~CZMB~

P.S. It seems that with the addition of the WRX to our family, we are, indeed, a Subaru only household.

Yep, would be the fuel pump. It sits in the back on the drivers side. Might still work but sounds like its on its way out. The relay is setup to give it a squirt of fuel before it starts and then while then engine is running it pumps as well. Its just setup that way so when you turn the key on but don't start the car it doesn't build up too much pressure. Is it SPFI or Carb?

88 GL (Junior, for those that remember) FWD Sedan, 3AT, 212k+ miles...

Turn the key to "ON" without starting the engine and it sounds as if something is trying to run underneath the car. Louder on the driver's side, but I can't pinpoint the location. My guess is fuel pump, but since it is a new noise, I'm not really sure. I really need this car to last 6-8 months (when I can, without pause, replace the beast), and I really hope it is either nothing too major or a quick and simple fix. I'd listen for the sound while the car is running, but the exhaust leak doesn't let me hear much. I'm just probing for ideas as to what it could be or how to narrow it down.

There's the click of a relay firing, then the electric whirring of something, then the click from the relay again shutting down after about 2-3 seconds.

Won't be able to T/S tonight, wife borrowed the car while her Legacy's in the shop (and until she can drive the WRX).

~CZMB~

P.S. It seems that with the addition of the WRX to our family, we are, indeed, a Subaru only household.

my loyale's done this forever. don't think you have anything to worry about.