Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 impreza been sitting for 5 yrs

Hey I just test drove a 95 impreza that had been sitting for 5 years and was recently traded for a new honda. My only problem with the car is when you are stopped and starting to go there is a rumble want to call it that comes from undr the car. It feels like it is the differential but I have never felt a bed diff. The guy selling it say his mechanics checked it out and said it would work it self out. Its just that the car has not been driven. I had my mechanic look at it. Who has done all the work on my 96 impreza with 213000+ miles onit. He said it might be the diff. but couldnt really tell. I am just trying to find out whether this is a common problem for cars that have been sitting for awhile. Also the car was kept in a heated garage, If that makes a difference. If you could shed some light on the situation I would really appreciate it.

THANKS,

GREG

this is a terrible deal, so i'll buy it to save you, got a phone number?

ha ha, joking. it could definitely be the front diff, i've seen it a few times (bought a 96 legacy last year from pittsburgh with a blown front diff).

you'll want to distinguish between the front diff and a front axle. i'm not sure how to tell you to do that, but i'm surprised your mechanic didn't try. should have drained the fluid (looking for chunks of gears) and driven it some.

i would tread carefully based on the fact that he's trying to sell it and states "it will work itself out"...i bet that's not the line of reasoning he used to make the decision to buy a new car! hopefully it's a good deal?

axle = little cheap job

front diff = new transmission and $$$

Yeah thats my main problem I couldnt begin to tell you how many times he said that to me. It really is a good deal on the fact that the only rust on the whole car is located on the exhaust and side rails under the car. I am going to try and hold out on buying it and see if it sticks around for a little longer, then just try to get a really good price out of him. I really have no problem getting a car that I know will need work I am not going to pay too much for it. But thanks for the quick response.