Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys.

Got the car at least running again. It's hesitating a bit but it's good enough to get to the dealer. I'm not messing with the plugs again, screw that. Just wondering how much this would cost to get done at the dealer so I don't faint when they tell me. I'm guessing at least 100 bucks.

Depends on the area. Here in the INW where I live the average shop rate is about $90 and hour. I don't work for a dealership but I do work on subys in the shop I am at. Of course it depends on the suby I am working on, but lets give the average for say an 01 obw 2.5 sohc, I charge/get 1.3 hours for plugs and 1.5 for plugs and wires. Plugs usually cost about $4-7 a piece I think. Now If I am doing the vc's I only charge an additional .3 for plug replacment and no charge to run the new wires. Hope ths helps

Hey guys.

Got the car at least running again. It's hesitating a bit but it's good enough to get to the dealer. I'm not messing with the plugs again, screw that. Just wondering how much this would cost to get done at the dealer so I don't faint when they tell me. I'm guessing at least 100 bucks.

Don't give up yet. You know the hazard now so be careful. I've done a ton of 2.5 plug changes. With a short extention and short rachet its not bad. Take out the air cleaner duct on the pass. side and the washer tank on the drivers side. Use your fingers to spin the extention most of the way out. When you put them in use anti-sieze compound and make sure the motor is stone cold. And don't overtighten them they don't need much torque.

"Mechanics start what they finish"

Only problem is how obvious it is that I'm not a mechanic. The front plugs are not bad at all. But the rear ones you don't even have room to turn the thing with your fingers let alone really know if you've crossthreaded it or not. Which I hope to hell I didn't do. I have all kinds of sockets and extensions. Maybe I need to find a really thin ratchet to use. But the thought of trying to get the plug back out again makes me cringe.

I almost have to do this myself now though because I'm picking up my Trans Am in about 2 hours and have to shell out $2400 for an engine rebuild :(

Don't give up yet. You know the hazard now so be careful. I've done a ton of 2.5 plug changes. With a short extention and short rachet its not bad. Take out the air cleaner duct on the pass. side and the washer tank on the drivers side. Use your fingers to spin the extention most of the way out. When you put them in use anti-sieze compound and make sure the motor is stone cold. And don't overtighten them they don't need much torque.

"Mechanics start what they finish"

I hear ya, we've all been there its part of the learning curve. Even the most seemingly difficult things get routine after doing them over and over. Getting as far as you did tells me you can do it you just need to find the way that works for you. The hose on the end of the plug works well in tight places. And you can wind it up so in unwinds in the direction you want it to go. The point is don't give up git-er-done!