Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the fourms had a front hub question

fateo66

Hi, I was just referred to come over here by Matt Monson because of some of my off the wall ideas. Anyways I have an 02 WRX and I just picked up some coilovers for a 05 STI. Now to my knowledge all rear strut mounts are the same from 02-07 WRX and STI ( I know they inverted the strut in 05 but it still bolts in the same) As for the front the hub's bolt holes I hear are a bit off. So I wanted to know what some of my options would be. Is it possible to swap in a 05+ STi front hub but keep my 5x100? But if I can I would rather go with my previous plan. Which is to swap out from the axles out from a SVX into my 02. I know that my ABS will no longer work and that the control arms are also longer but will I be able to get everything to align and possible use the STI coilovers?

Here is a few pics of my latest projects

l_c7661cffebb022661c711d3eaa98105d.jpg

l_69fdf7cd9fea4f6594564ee46750e64e.jpg

l_fc9b9100b2de4969ae269f132791a6ed.jpg

l_24e4efe43135493d8f9daa5380aeed99.jpg

l_9126f46310a4466089c1ee605e18d1d2.jpg

no the hub bearing design is compleatly different in the 05

the 02-04 is a press in bearing the 05 is a separate 4 bolt

hub that bolts to the knuckle you can dremmil out the holes to fit but you may

also need shims because the 05 knuckle is wider at the 2 bolt holes

svx suspension is substantially different as well...

if you want to run the bigger hubs you will need (pretty much) the entire suspension setup from an 05-07 sti.

best advice to you would be to hop over to nasioc and sell your coilovers and buy some that are properly suited to your car.

Well part of the reason I wanted to go with an SVX setup is because of the longer control arms. I would like to widen my stance to better suit my widebody.

are the SVX control arms longer? That stuff i really don't know. Nor am i sure that svx control arms fit into ej crossmembers. would be interesting to find out.

sti control arms are longer and the spec C ones are really long. (if you can find some)

the problem with doing this is your camber goes up as you push the control arm out. increasing handling along with tire wear. most people i've seen with widebody kits get different offset wheels to have them stick out more along with wider wheels and tires. (after all, that's the point of the widebody, fat tires!)

with sti stuff you also get brembo brakes which a lot of people parting out cars will sell as a complete set. then all you'd need is a 6speed swap or custom axles.

another issue with the svx stuff is coilovers are hard to get for them. I'm not sure about the hub situation on if they will fit or not but most people with svx's end up custom building their coilovers.

would be cool to see pics of your project.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I wasn't able to log on last weekend so here is a few updates

I'm in the midst of everything and there is going to be several things to overcome. The first one is on the front hub/control arm assembly. The SVX's hubs have a small ball mount and the WRX's are a larger style. Is there any way to put a small style ball in the WRX's control arm?

l_0750d91b948144b08b14ea8912a2c4c1.jpg

Then I was thinking about having the ball joint machined down but I do not believe that will work either. So it looks like now I will just be ordering a set of hubs from a 05+ STI and using the rest of the stuff off the SVX

i'm not seeing where the hub is the problem, isn't it the control arm that will make or break this idea? no matter what hub you use - you'll get the ball joint to match. so if the ends of the ball joint that go into the control arm are the same on the SVX and the WRX then it won't matter, it'll bolt right up to the WRX control arm.

so we'd need pictures of the SVX and WRX ball joints and control arms to see if this is a problem or not.

if that doesn't work, how about swap the SVX control arms onto your car so you can accept those SVX hub assemblies?