Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru won't back warranty or car

I can empathize with your plight. I too had a Subaru, 2003 H6, that had a seemingly urnresolvable problem at the local level. The TPS would stick open and the car would not deccelerate. I got SOA involved per the instructions in the owners manual. It is a very detailed and excruiating process. Make no mistake about it though, Customer Service is advocating for SOA, not you. Took me a while to figure that out. Took several months of aggravation and lots of attention to detail, but in the end SOA did agree to take possesion of the car and we came to an amicable settlement. They do not like to take possesion under the lemon law provision because they then must disclose that to the next buyer of the car. If they just "buy it back" under some other settlment form then they can put the car back on the lot "as is" and have no "legal obligation" to the next buyer to disclose the prior history. I was dismayed at the attitude of SOA and it required me to be very aggressive in my dealings with them in order to get a result that I felt was fair to me and SOA. Several times I swore it would be easier to just sell it and walk away to spend my time on more valuable concerns. The advice from those who have not gone through the fight that you should have stuck it out and persisted should be taken with a large grain of salt. Their ability to seek advice on this forum and then fix their cars, or offer advice to others is an awsome resource, but I believe it might be easier to communicate with other forum members than the staff of SOA in New Jersey. The settlement I forged with SAO replaced the 03 H6 with an 05 3.0R, essentialy the same car. I am very pleased with this SOA product and have had no problems of any consequence with it. I realize the prior product had a problem and was able to resolve that issue with more effort than I thought would be required to do right for a customer on the part of SOA. I think you made the right choice for you. That is the most important outcome you can hope for in an automobile.

1) For the ECU to "monitor" something, it has to send voltage to the switch or sensor (usually 5 volt).

This isn't true. The switch connects continuity to ground. The ECU can read this continuity with as little as a few millivolts (like an ohmmeter) Those few millivotls won't be observable on a standard multimeter.

Many of the ECU's signals are relayed this way, such as self diagnosis connector, and the FWD fuse for the TCU.

This isn't true. The switch connects continuity to ground. The ECU can read this continuity with as little as a few millivolts (like an ohmmeter) Those few millivotls won't be observable on a standard multimeter.

Many of the ECU's signals are relayed this way, such as self diagnosis connector, and the FWD fuse for the TCU.

Makes sense. But I'm not seeing any wire going to the ECU on the wiring diagram. And if that were true, on my car, the ECU would receive the info that the clutch pedal is always in and would permanently send fuel to the engine even when the clutch pedal is out and my foot off the gas pedal. Why no CEL from the ECU and why no effect on engine braking and fuel consumption?

Edited by frag