Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Tranny in First Gen. Brat

jimbob_goatboy

I looked at a RX Transmission today to put into my brat. It is out of an 87' RX so it is a dual range Full time AWD. My question is about all the electrical wires coming off the transmission. Does the transmission require a computer to run or are all those wires just sensor for indicator lights? Does anyone have a diagram for the wiring on the transmission?

Thanks,

Michael

i am running the same transmission in my gen1. should be neat!

you do need the vacuum actuator and solenoids for a C-Diff lock. don't forget those! (or you can just use a little lever for it... i might end up doing this however the throw on it is extremely small)

as mentioned above...no computer.

and the vacuum solenoids and stuff are the same as Push-button PT4WD loyales and such, so that stuff is a bit more common.

the wiring is for backup lights, low range indicator, diff lock indicator, and neutral start. obviously, none of which is necessary (I've got nothing hooked up to the RX trans in my loyale...no backup lights, oh well, I'll survive).

i am running the same transmission in my gen1. should be neat!

you do need the vacuum actuator and solenoids for a C-Diff lock. don't forget those! (or you can just use a little lever for it... i might end up doing this however the throw on it is extremely small)

Zefy, do you like the rx transmission in your brat? I have been debating between the rx transmission or a newer ej awd transmission? Do you have to do much to get the transmission to fit?

i would have to finish the project before i could use it...:rolleyes:

it is a pretty tight fit but with a little finagling you shouldn't have to chop stuff up. the starter sits REALLY close to the brake lines coming off the booster and you need a different clutch cable to make it work.

oh and it also uses turbo axles so you need to either get different axles with matching hubs, custom axles, different stubs in the trans, there are lots of ways to solve this problem.