Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so carb fixed itself??

So my carb had a leak and the choke wasnt working and every time i stepped on the gas it would bogg down real bad and out of nowhere today i floor it in first and it popped pretty loud and then accelerated haha. and ever sense then it ran fine thru all 4 gears. could it possibly just been clogged or maybe dirty and the fuel cleaned it? im pretty confused haha.

And please if anyone knows of a site where i can find parts for my 78 brat let me know. and will honda wheels fit on it or is it a different lug pattern?

Subaru lug pattern is unique in that it is 4x140mm. The only other make that uses that pattern is older Peugeots.

As for your problem solving itself, it sounds like there are two possibilities I can think of.

the timing advance on your distributor came "unstuck"

or more likely, whatever was plugging your secondary main jet on your carburetor finally got sucked through, or pushed back in the float bowl from a backfire.

I had the most obnoxious of symptoms relating to junk in the fuel line randomly plugging up main jets on a Chevy LUV. The final solution after I cleaned them out (again) was to add an extra fuel filter right before the fuel inlet on the carb.

Subaru lug pattern is unique in that it is 4x140mm. The only other make that uses that pattern is older Peugeots.

As for your problem solving itself, it sounds like there are two possibilities I can think of.

the timing advance on your distributor came "unstuck"

or more likely, whatever was plugging your secondary main jet on your carburetor finally got sucked through, or pushed back in the float bowl from a backfire.

I had the most obnoxious of symptoms relating to junk in the fuel line randomly plugging up main jets on a Chevy LUV. The final solution after I cleaned them out (again) was to add an extra fuel filter right before the fuel inlet on the carb.

ohh yeah i've been having the hardest! time trying to find wheels for it. as soon as i say 78 brat they start laughing and say good luck ha.

and i think it was just plugged. ha but either way it runs like a champ now.. still veryy veryyy slow ha