Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Detonation-89 DL

So my DL wagon detonates like crazy at low rpm/mid to heavy throttle and mid/high RPM at light throttle. So there is a very small range that it likes. Normally i would attribute this to something else, as detonation seems like a pretty odd thing in an NA car, but it likes high octane gas alot more (premium is a must for any power) and a few days ago it was really cold at night (20-30F) and it ran like a champ.

So, what could be causing this o great Subaru gods?

TIA

Jared

plugs wires cap and rotor were all done within the last 10k miles, by a shop for the PO. I guess i need to start by doing all of that again, to be sure. I ran two cans of seafoam through the gas, that actually seemed to help. I don't use cheap gas, or rather the cheap gas i use runs just fine with all my other cars...

Timing i haven't checked. I know that sounds stupid given my current issues but i just moved and my timing light is MIA. That will be my next check for sure.

Any other thoughts?

The gas you use could still be it. I currently have three vehicles in my fleet, 92 Loyale, 97 Chevy Lumina, and my trusty 82 Ford truck. The Subaru is the only one that will detonate with cheap gas. The Chevy runs the same no matter what gas you put in it, I suspect it's because of the better fuel management. The Ford, is just happy to be running!

My point it vehicles are different. I was gassing up at the Liberty station where I work, that station gets the cheapest gas that's available that day whether it conventional, rfg, or E10 conventional, but always cheap brands with poor addatives. I was running aroun in circles trying to get rid of the detonation, it wasn't untill I started filling up at Texaco(Chevron) that it went away. The car runs a ton better now, less downshifting uphills, smoother idle, etc.

Try a few tanks of Chevron, Exxon, or other big brands and see what happens. At least you'll now without spending a bunch of money. The better gas will cost less that a dollar more per tank, not that bad really.

Temp is always good, gauge stays halfway after a normal warm-up period. No problems with stop and go traffic, or a hard run down the freeway.

I will give it a go, but i tend to mix my gas anyways (buying from different stations) i will try and stick with a chevron close by for a couple tanks.

Halfway on the gauge is too hot. Unless your sender is bad. New rad, new stat, 50/50 coolant/distilled water mix, it should barely be 1/4 up the gauge. It may be a good idea to install an aftermarket coolant temp guage that shows the actual temp in degrees. You could probably adjust your timing to get it to run better while hot, but it will still be hot.

Edited by Frank B

Hmm, i have never came across a car that halfway was to hot. How sure are you about that? OK, so new gauge to verify water temp. Where is the most accurate place to have the sender? I am used to a single head, and would assume that would be the spot, but not so sure here.

Its a 5 speed, so none of that automatic BS to worry about.

So, timing+coolant flush+T-stat.

New radiator? I would prefer to avoid that, due to cost, how likely is it that its causing an issue for me? Whats the going rate on a good radiator? Is there a "good" one to get or are they all the same?

Hey coldfusion21,

Something to consider. Buy, borrow, or mabie you have a laser temperature gun.

I got mine at a regular auto parts house and it's extremely usefull.

I've never had an EA-82 car that ran half way on the temperature gage... Except for the ones that something was wrong with them. Bad radiator, blown headgasket, stuck cheap aftermarket thermostat.

But I don't live in a hot climate either, and I've never had one with a gage that far off. YMMV.

hth,

Doug

I bought mine from JC Whitney, one row aluminum with plastic tanks for $100 shipped. They always have some sale for free shipping or 20% off so it's a good place to order it. I found that ALL of the online radiator stores, and the parts stores, autozone, advance, napa, etc, all sell the same brand radiators so price is the only thing to really look at, and you need to shop around, prices go from $100 to $260!! You can't get a two row anymore, just an aluminum core with plastic tanks, or an all metal brass and copper for $50 or so more. Original is aluminum and plastic.

You can remove the temp sender for the dash temp gauge, the one wire one right near the thermostat housing, and put the sender for the aftermarket gauge there with a metric adapter. The gauge will come with sae threaded sender.

A clogged or rotting radiator is the #1 or #2 problem with our older Subarus. Usually leading to overheating and head gasket failure. If yours doesn't look new, replace it. High temp is the biggest enemy to our engines.

Out of the 7 subarus I've had, 4 were Ea82 cars, every one needed a rad and performed 200% better with a new one. It's very common, and I'm very sure.

You may be able to take it to a radiator repair shop and have it cleaned for a lot less, bu tif the rad is in bad shape, they will not do it.