Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale 5sp 4wd issue

been i while, but here's my problem: my car will not go into 4wd. i hit the button and it does nothing, no noises or anything. i searched a bit and have concluded to check the vaccuum lines/tank thing (the white one right behind the strut tower. right?) and the lines going from it.

my main question is if anyone else has had this issue, and what was wrong?

thanks all

ps - never realized how horrible fwd is in the snow till now lol

this is a common issue. generally it is caused by the skinny vac hose that runs to the manifold is accidentally disconnected when you get unbder the hood to do some minor maintenance. it is easily unnoticeable.

also, a symptom of this loose hose will be the vent selector only blowing out of the dash vents on any setting.

the skinny vac line comes from the intake manifold on the passenger side and runs along the strut tower. it will be spliced with a reducer between the intake and the canister itself.

otherwise, if the vent selector itself is working, suspect the vacuum switch solenoids, which are located behind the driver strut tower. there will be lines from the canister and from the solenoids to a diaphragm on the transmission. be aware of an audible click to determine the solenoid is working.

you should hear a click each time you turn the 4wd on or off, since there has to be vacuum to the diaphraagm to move it either way for both the on and off positions