Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Foglights on turn signal location?

My idea is to remove the turn signals from my 91 Loyale's front bumpers, rewire them to the turn signals next to the headlights, and install fog or driving lights on the original location of the signals. Anyone ever tried this? The turn signal box is 5.9" wide, and there are plenty of square lights that would fit nicely in there.

I've seen other cars with it done like that.

See no problem with it as long as the new chosen signal is bright enough.

And it would make a nice smooth install.

If ya go for we need some pics! :)

Go for it!

I have heard of others that rewired the marker lights to be the turn signals, not really that hard, cut and splice some wires. Might need a custom mounting bracket to mount a fog light in the old turn signal spot though, not really a big deal though. Would look really clean thats for sure!

-Bill

Exactly what I was thinking of, splicing the turn signal wires into the front parking light wires. The parking lights seem to be bright enough for me. Ive been trying to figure out where to mount a set of fog or driving lights and the bumper turn signal recesses look very nice for some square lights.

The parking lights are white though, and not legal for turn signals, which have to be amber.

So... what you do is use an amber 1157 dual filliment bulb. If you take the bulb sockets out of the rear brake/running lights of another subaru (I used a legacy I had around), and cut a length of wire with the socket, you can use a sharp knife to open up the hole that the parking light socket goes into in your front sidemarker housing so that the dual fillament bulb and socket fits in. If you're clever about how you cut the hole and leave tabs, you can have it do the 1/4 turn to lock that the socket origionally does in the housing. Use the parking light ground wire as the common ground, wire the parking light to the low watt filliment, and the positive turn signal wire up to the high watt filliment.

They work fine, plenty bright, and look like they were meant to be that way.

It's a 15minute job if you know what you're doing.

yup - I have done it - see the following thread for pic - scroll down about mid-page.

I used the socket from a taillight & the amber 1157 bulb for my swap - it was pretty easy. you do have to enlarge the socket hole in the housing to fit the larger bulb tho...careful work with a dremel or similar works great for this.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93425

Edited by heartless

Or sumtin like this?

I've had it this way for years.

KC Highlighters (driving lights) wired to come on with

the Hella 500's and the orig. high beams

Turn sigs wired to the white side lights with amber lamps fitted.

Nice thing is the turn sigs are visable from the side now.

withpugs4.JPG