Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Legacy SUS ej25 blown engine

bmmf

Well I picked up a 99 Legacy SUS for pretty cheap with a blown engine. What engine should I go with? It had a phase 1 ej25 dohc engine that was removed last night. Looking to either put a phase 2 sohc 2.5 or go with the 2.2 What manufacturing dates of the engine should I look for?

This will be my second swap. I did it before on a 99 Forester but it was a 2.5 sohc to start with so this time things might be a little different. I used a MY2000 impreza 2.2 block and heads and reused my 2.5 intake manifold for that one.

I was hoping I could reused the old intake manifold this time as well but I've been reading through some of the post and it looked like the 2.5 dohc wont bolt up to the 2.2.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated and pictures are to come once I get rolling.

yeah, it's all here this swap is really easy. there are a few choices to make.

the only difference from the other swap you did are these:

the intake has to match the engine (can't use EJ25 intake on EJ22 engine)

unless you get a 1995 engine you also need an EJ22 exhaust manifold. 95 EJ22's are the only ones with dual port exhausts. but the single port exhausts bolt right up to the EJ25 vehicle, so it doesn't really matter, easy to swap that too.

a 97 or earlier engine will have a different bellhousing but it still bolts up just fine. again read about that here.

if you get a 95 engine you'll need to make sure it's from an automatic, or if you want to remove the EGR system (like i did), get one from a 95 manual (doesn't have EGR).

it's all here, just read up, there's lots of various options and stuff and everything i've said is explained.

Hey guys I am still debating on what engine to put in. I am having trouble finding the Y-pipe here in Reno for the 2.2 L engine. Is there a website that sells them? If someone has one maybe please send me a message with how much you want for it.

If I can find one of those I am definitely going with the 2.2l

start a thread in the "parts wanted section". people have them, just need to find someone that has an extra and will ship.

make sure it's clean and no dangerous parts, wrap a label around it and they will ship it, if anyone is worried about shipping such a part.

a reminder, you probably know that a 1995 EJ22 will not require the y-pipe. only other years will.

yards are funny about selling the ypipes. need to just stop by some smaller joint loaded with soobs and they may sell you one.

checked the only two places in reno that i know would have them and they were out of their y-pipes (bought from there last time). they didn't have any 95 engines either so i will probably be buying a 2.2 out of a 97 impreza.