Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ibiltit,

I bought 15 inch winter rims for my 97 OBW years ago and kept them for use on my next 02 OBW. Unfortunately, 15 inch rims wouldn't fit over the front calipers on the 02, as I believe Subaru went to 16 inch wheels and larger rotors starting with the 2000 model year (I think I got it right?) I don't think that you'll find 15 inchers will fit your 2000 on the front. In my case, I bought new 16 inch steel wheels for my 02 OBW, and when I traded it on my 07 OBW, I kept the wheels and am presently running the 16 inchers even though the 07 stock wheels are 17's.

And I agree with you as to going as narrow a winter tire as the stock steel wheel will allow. The stock 195/70/15 winter tires on my 97 were just terrific in the snow. I went to a wider tire, a 225/60/16, which was the stock size for the 02, and the tires road up on top of the snow, much like acquaplaning, at speed. They were terrible. Now with the 07, I'm back to a narrow 205/60/16 snow tire (stock tire is 225/60/17 I think) and the car just claws its way through snow at speed.

Ibiltit,

I bought 15 inch winter rims for my 97 OBW years ago and kept them for use on my next 02 OBW. Unfortunately, 15 inch rims wouldn't fit over the front calipers on the 02, as I believe Subaru went to 16 inch wheels and larger rotors starting with the 2000 model year (I think I got it right?) I don't think that you'll find 15 inchers will fit your 2000 on the front. In my case, I bought new 16 inch steel wheels for my 02 OBW, and when I traded it on my 07 OBW, I kept the wheels and am presently running the 16 inchers even though the 07 stock wheels are 17's.

And I agree with you as to going as narrow a winter tire as the stock steel wheel will allow. The stock 195/70/15 winter tires on my 97 were just terrific in the snow. I went to a wider tire, a 225/60/16, which was the stock size for the 02, and the tires road up on top of the snow, much like acquaplaning, at speed. They were terrible. Now with the 07, I'm back to a narrow 205/60/16 snow tire (stock tire is 225/60/17 I think) and the car just claws its way through snow at speed.

yep on MY00 they when to the 11.4 brake rotor size, same as the WRX on the front. you will need 16inch or larger.

why not just get some snow tires and have them put on your stock wheels, then when snow is gone remount your old all seasons or whatever.