Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Oil Leak from T Belt covers 3 qt 4 days...pump?

I just put in an engine I got from a junk yard, it runs great after Gary suggested I change the plug wires. I havnt pulled the covers all the way, I have no garage and its single digits here.

Considering the amount of oil, is it safe to assume I'll find the pump leaking somewhere?

Are the pumps like those on the old 1.8 's that were in GL series???

I suppose a belt, cam seals and oil pump replacement is needed?

Thanks

Paul

If it's losing oil that fast, a good possibility is that the screws on the back of the oil pump came loose and the oil pressure blew out the front crank seal.

If it is coming out the timing covers, I would replace the cam seals, the front crank seal, new oil pump o-ring, tighten and loctite the screws on the back of the oil pump and reseal the oil pump to the block. New belt too if it got really oil soaked.

that sucks. that much oil, any seal could be leaking. though if it's dead center then it's probably the oil pump.

the oil pump set up is different than the EA stuff. not harder, just different.

the oil pump gets sealed to the block with anaerobic sealant, there's no gasket for the pump to block mating surface.

the crank passes through the middle of the oil pump, so the crank seal is part of the pump.

i guess you know the timing belt installing is different too...the EJ's are easier. both timing marks on the cams you line up at the same time, like you'd think! so it's the opposite of EA stuf.

*** do not reuse the timing belt. learn from my mistake - brand new timing belts that have contacted fluids like that can break very quickly (a few months in my case).

Here's a list of all the parts for this job:

2 cam seals

2 cam orings

crank seal (also part of the oil pump)

oil pump oring

tighten oil pump back plate screws

sealant for back of pump

i'd order one of those ebay timing belt kits personally (ordered two just a couple weeks ago). for $80 you get the timing belt and all new pulleys and tensioner. would suck to do this job then a year later a timing pulley seizes and ruins the new belt.

water pump nice to just do it all but EJ's don't fail very often so if you're penny pinching this is the best thing to skip. although if it's an interference EJ22 the water pump and timing pulleys are a must for just about any older engine, particularly a used, sitting-around-for-who-knows-how-long engine.

Edited by grossgary

Is a 98 EJ22 interference.

hhmmmm....tell him what he wants to hear and hope for the best or be honest.....

yes, it's an interference engine.

all suggestions above apply.

the good news is you've got a great vehicle that's worth the effort. another 100,000 miles if you maintain it and don't run it hot or out of oil? not too many engines can do that as efficiently as this one.

do it right and pat yourself on the back in 7 years!

I second new belts/seals.

I almost promise its the front mail seal leaking. the ej motors were prone to that leaking. I've seen 2 oil pumps leak.

check your pulleys and waterpump bearing too while you are in there. depending on teh mileage you are most likely better e off replacing everything on the front of the engine as preventative maintenance.