Ultimate Subaru Message Board

other than a head gasket...what could cause this:

Temp ranges from normal to just below red...it rises and falls rapidly....the more you drive usually its lower...the more you idle usually its higher...blowing cool air through vents unless engine is revved then blows hot and normal???

Maybe air in the cooling system?? bad rad cap??

Cory

other than a head gasket...what could cause this:

Temp ranges from normal to just below red...it rises and falls rapidly....the more you drive usually its lower...the more you idle usually its higher...blowing cool air through vents unless engine is revved then blows hot and normal???

Maybe air in the cooling system?? bad rad cap??

Cory

I would add bad thermostat and bad water pump to the list! Prolly, more emphasis o bad thermostat.

yeah i replaced the thermostat about 5000 miles ago.....im gonna try a rad cap...i just finished flushing out the system so ive been filling it as it sucks it down...hoping its just an air pocket....

Cory

Hope you used a Subaru Thermostat. If you didn't, I would seriously go get one and yank that stant crap out of there.

The Suby stats pull open almost twice as far to allow more flow.

Plus 1 for burping the system really good. No heat out the dash vents is a sure sign of air in the system.

Edited by Gloyale

• 1 month later...