Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That should be the right amount of ATF with additive. I hope you added Trans X as the additive. It is the only known additive to correct delayed forward engagement. There may be others, but I am not aware of anyone mentioning that. I tried using Lucas stop leak, but it didn't fix the delayed forward engagement.

How to check fluid level.......park on a flat surface, completely warm up engine, it doesn't matter if trany is put into Park or Neutral setting when checking fluid level. Leave the engine running, when you remove the dip "stick" to check the fluid level. Don't over fill the trany, as that is not good. Remember that it only takes about a pint (half a litre) of ATF to fill trany from lower hash mark to high hash mark on the dip"stick."

Were you having a problem with delayed forward engagement? If so, has the Trans-X corrected the problem?

Yes I was and no I don't think it has corrected the problem.The real problem I'm having now is reading this stupid dipstick to get the proper level.On any other vehicle I have owned it was easy to tell the level on the dipstick but on this one I can't .I have put 5 litres of ATF plus the Trans-X in it and I still don't seem much if any on the dipstick.I have the same problem with the engine oil dipstaick.

Yes I was and no I don't think it has corrected the problem.The real problem I'm having now is reading this stupid dipstick to get the proper level.On any other vehicle I have owned it was easy to tell the level on the dipstick but on this one I can't .I have put 5 litres of ATF plus the Trans-X in it and I still don't seem much if any on the dipstick.I have the same problem with the engine oil dipstaick.

Have you tried shifting thru the gears with the engine idling? Try that before adding anymore fluid. That usually gets the fluid where it belongs so it'll show on the dipstick.

Draining the ATF from the pan removes about four and a half litres, so by adding five litres, plus a can of Trans-X, the trany has to be over filled. Are you sure you are pushing the dip stick down completely inside the stick tube? With my car, hoses cross over the top of the dip stick tube, making it hard to see what I am doing.

I assume you are checking the fluid level when the engine is at full warm up operation level, while the car is on level pavement, and the engine is running with the trany in Park or Neutral with the hand brake applied.

I agree about reading the dipsticks...kind of sucks

I have had dozens of 80's and 90's GL's and loyales...but this is my first newer generation (96 OB)...you clean the stick, drive it back in and they are not the cleanest reading...seems there is oil slopped all over it...even when letting it sit...weird

I agree about reading the dipsticks...kind of sucks

I have had dozens of 80's and 90's GL's and loyales...but this is my first newer generation (96 OB)...you clean the stick, drive it back in and they are not the cleanest reading...seems there is oil slopped all over it...even when letting it sit...weird

Yea, I know know what you mean about the "oil slopped all over it" look. That usually happens just after having added ATF to the system through the dip stick tube. Some ATF adhers to the inside of the dip stick tube. I usually wait a little while before checking the level, or drive the car around a bit to get the ATF hot, and allow what ATF that has accumulated on the inside surface of the dip stick tube to heat up and drain down into the tranny pan. Then, check ATF level with the dip stick. Still, the dip stick is kind of narrow, so it is not that easy to read the fluid level.