Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock Knock!

Alright I got some bad news! I took my brat down the road for the first time last night and I'm convinced that the motor is knocking!!! :mad:. I honeslty cant be mad because it was given to me but Im thinking before I throw a rod through a fender i would just park it and rebuild it?? It sounds like a main bearing knock instead of a rod knock. How hard are these little motors to break down and rebuild? I'm guessing I will have to split the case to replace main bearings? Does that make it hard to do? Has anyone have any experiance completely overhauling a EA81?

Thanks

Kelly O.

I've done an ea82 and an ej25. They aren't all that much different than the one you have. Take your time and torque to exact specs and you should have a great rebuild. Make sure the crank isn't scored and that there is no damage to the rod. No sense in rebuilding and having the same problem when you are done. Damage should be visible.

Good luck

Maybe sometime ill get the balls to just tear into it. i have never messed with a flat motor like this. Maybe i can find a motor and tranny with a dual speed at a wrecking yard. I know where there are 2 other brats i can steal parts off of. I know that one of them is a 1600cc and not sure what the other is, but the other one caught fire a long time ago. If the motor isnt stuck ill think about swaping it if its a 1800cc

Maybe sometime ill get the balls to just tear into it. i have never messed with a flat motor like this. Maybe i can find a motor and tranny with a dual speed at a wrecking yard. I know where there are 2 other brats i can steal parts off of. I know that one of them is a 1600cc and not sure what the other is, but the other one caught fire a long time ago. If the motor isnt stuck ill think about swaping it if its a 1800cc

These combos came in all the generation 2 cars as well. Most any Brat or wagon or hatch will have the EA81 and 4 spd dual range tranny as well.

it was brought up before but is it a problem if the motor thats in it now has the starter on top? If i get a different motor with the strater in a different place everything else should bolt up right?

Yeah if you get the setup with the dual range tranny attached, it will already have the starter off to the lefty a little bit. And yes it will all bolt right into place

any brats ever fuel injected? if so what year?

no none ever came with fuel injection, but you can do a conversion using the system that a Loyale uses. That's what I have and I love it! I have the stock pushrod, EA81 motor with the Loyale fuel injection system on it. A few others on here have the same set up. The hardest part is the wiring

i dont mind sticking to a carb! I would rather not have to deal with all of the electronics. I like old fashion. lol.

I still need to figure out if i have a EA81 or EA71.

Somewhere either on the top front passenger side of the block or near the back, there will be a stamp that says EA81 or EA71. I fyou could take a pic that would be great. Especially to show the placement of the starter

Hey Gents,

I have been trying to figure out what motor I have in my brat. I did find some numbers by the disty where yall told me to look. This is what i found.

NO 924781.

Im not to sure about the NO part it was very hard to read but im positive about the numbers.

Does this mean anything? Does this mean I have a EA81 since the last numbers are 81?

Any info would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Kelly O.