Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do alongwith the head gasket

Looking for recommendations of what to replace while in there doing the head gaskets. I will be ordering an Ishino engine seal set, so a lot of the gaskets and orings will be included there.

Tbelts and tensioner bearings are on the list, what else would you recommend? thank you.

Definitely take the heads to your local machine shop to be pressure tested, resurfaced (if needed), and a 3 angle valve job performed (if needed). Bring them the valve stem seals that will come in your head gasket kit. Also in your gasket kit will be intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and cam housing cover (valve cover) bolts with new rubber on them. It's a great time to do timing belts and inspect/replace any accessory belts too. In addition to that I replaced the water pump, thermostat, cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires on my EA82 while replacing the head gaskets. Since mine is carb'ed I also replaced the carb base gasket. I know it all adds up, but it was much easier to do all of this at once then having to go back later and do the extra stuff.

Here is all the stuff that comes in the Felpro Head Gasket kit (which I hear is the best):

HS9392PT2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. After further searching I was able to locate this post from a while back which was also really helpful. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63765

After more research (work was slow today...) I will go with the felpro set except for a few gaskets where OEM have been recommended.

Edited by kilgore

Use Fel Pro permatorque gaskets.

Buy the lower cam carrier orings. They are reinforced orings, not regular orings. They're available from Subaru, thepartsbin.com, and sometimes come in the head gasket sets.

I've bought Fel-Pro sets that have some seals/gaskets and also gotten the same Fel-Pro sets that didn't have them all.