Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie intro

Hello all,

I've been lurking an learning about these cars for a few weeks with the intent on buying a well used subie in the spring. I live in the Syracuse NY area and we get a lot of snow, so the AWD would be a real plus for me.

I've concluded that I would like to find either a mid nineties Legacy or Impreza with the ej22 to minimize my risk of head gasket issues.

Questions to you-

1-Which of these two vehicles do you folks think is better from a durability perspective as well as ease of maintenance perspective? (I do all my own maintenance)

2-What is a reasonable upper limit for total miles on a used car purchase that you would consider buying a car? (yes I know its a function of the previous owner maintenance and all, but even subies wear out eventually)

Thanks for responses

Welcome.

the site is slow on weekends so be patient.

Inprezza vs legacies, its personal taste. Imprezzas are smaller and get a little better gas mileage, i like the legacies myself. When buying a used car over 140,000 miles, HG is a non issue, as any car can blow one at that time, and you have to figure that in your what if scenario. If its under 100,000 then yes you need to figure that in.

Upper end of mileage? Thats an inknown on a sooby. Its a mix of condition of the car, how much its selling for, and how much risk you want to assume (ie the body is in great shape, i got it for XXX bucks so if it needs an engine or a tranny big deal) kind of thing.

nipper

Welcome! :)

I would definatly go with the Imprezza....but i'm a little bias since I own a WRX and I absolutely LOVE it. I do like to Legacy as well, but I haven't driven one before, so I can't speak on that.

As far as maitenance goes, it is very easy to work on. Everything seems to be located in a good enough position, and so far with the mod's that we've done it was not difficult at all. We do all our own maitenance as well.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a car with over 80K miles on it..but it does depend on what yr the car is and the overall appearance and condition. Soobies are very strong cars, and seem to hold up pretty well when it comes to age, and wear.

Hope that helps!!

Oh and once you go AWD....you won't go back LOL:banana:

Thanks for the input. I personally would prefer to buy a lower mileage vehicle as well, but with two kids in college, I am financially limited to the "well used" variety. Never-the-less, these cars if properly cared for sound like they will run for a lot of miles! The real challenge is finding one that is the right price and with a good maintenance history.

Thanks for the input. I personally would prefer to buy a lower mileage vehicle as well, but with two kids in college, I am financially limited to the "well used" variety. Never-the-less, these cars if properly cared for sound like they will run for a lot of miles! The real challenge is finding one that is the right price and with a good maintenance history.

We dont call them well used, when it comes to subaru, we call them "just broken in"

:banana: