Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I start the car cold, there is a low pitch squeaking noise coming from the engine. I have changed all the pulleys for the timing so it can be ruled out. Checked for all the v-belt they all looks good. My friend said it sounds like it's from the starter. He said it sounds like the starter is not disengaging after it started.

Any ideas?

Vincent

Edited by vincentmoy

Isn't that part of the clutch? As far as I'm concern, my clutch works just fine.

Yeah, but it can ride lightly against the preussre plate fingers and spin adn make this annoying little chirping noise.

Humor me and tell me if it changes at all when clutch is pressed, released.

It is a frequently occuring noise emmited from the starter area, so I took a wild guess.

Yeah, but it can ride lightly against the preussre plate fingers and spin adn make this annoying little chirping noise.

Humor me and tell me if it changes at all when clutch is pressed, released.

It is a frequently occuring noise emmited from the starter area, so I took a wild guess.

No a problem.

The noise only comes when I start the engine cold. If I start the engine warm, say turn it off for 5 mins and turn it back on, the noise is gone or almost gone. There is no weird noises when I depress/release clutch so I think I can rule clutch/flywheel out for now.:grin:

Moreover, that noise doesn't seem to affect the drivablity, and seems like the previous owner drove it that way for a while.

I suspect your starter is going bad. Starter strange noises are never good. Good chance the solenoid is sticking, so like you think, the starter remains engaged beyond what it should. Yes, it is possible for the starter to damage the flywheel. If it were me, I would replace the starter.

If you are mechanically handy, swapping out the starter is an easy job. Just a couple of bolts and an electrical connection.

Suggest you go to Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts, or similar type store, where a counter man is willing to go out to the parking lot to listen to your starter. Starters are rather generic amongst cars, all cars with bad starters sound pretty much alike. The counter man should be able to give you an honest opinion regarding your starter. Remanufactured starters from AZ have worked well for me, though I have heard a number of stories where guys have bought junk from AZ. Regardless, AZ has a good warranty program, and has been good to me. If their reman part is bad, it is not a problem swapping out for another one.

I suspect your starter is going bad. Starter strange noises are never good. Good chance the solenoid is sticking, so like you think, the starter remains engaged beyond what it should. Yes, it is possible for the starter to damage the flywheel. If it were me, I would replace the starter.

If you are mechanically handy, swapping out the starter is an easy job. Just a couple of bolts and an electrical connection.

Suggest you go to Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts, or similar type store, where a counter man is willing to go out to the parking lot to listen to your starter. Starters are rather generic amongst cars, all cars with bad starters sound pretty much alike. The counter man should be able to give you an honest opinion regarding your starter. Remanufactured starters from AZ have worked well for me, though I have heard a number of stories where guys have bought junk from AZ. Regardless, AZ has a good warranty program, and has been good to me. If their reman part is bad, it is not a problem swapping out for another one.

I'm up Alaska and don't have autozone, all I have is schuck's and napa. I think getting one online is a better choose for me.

I saw one "new" @ importexperts for like $92. It seems low to me.

http://catalog.worldpac.com/triangle/wizard.jsp?partner=triangle&clientid=theimportexperts&baseurl=http://www.theimportexperts.com/&cookieid=2LB0R23XA2LB0W2ZG6&year=1998&make=SU&model=OUTS-4WD-001&category=F&part=Starter&appTransmissionType=Manual

I'm up Alaska and don't have autozone, all I have is schuck's and napa. I think getting one online is a better choose for me.

I saw one "new" @ importexperts for like $92. It seems low to me.

http://catalog.worldpac.com/triangle/wizard.jsp?partner=triangle&clientid=theimportexperts&baseurl=http://www.theimportexperts.com/&cookieid=2LB0R23XA2LB0W2ZG6&year=1998&make=SU&model=OUTS-4WD-001&category=F&part=Starter&appTransmissionType=Manual

$92 seems like a good price to me. NAPA always has good quality, but their prices seem to be 20% higher then other parts stores across the board. We don't have Schuck's in Indiana, so don't know anything about them.

There are two Japanese manufacturers of Subie starters. They interchange with one another, so there is no compatibility problem, but they do look slightly different from one another. Just don't be surprised if your replacement looks different from the one on the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting your success story...........motor on for another 100,000 miles!

No problem, I figire I should just post that the problem is solved so people have clue if that will fix their problem or not.

I got irritated when I left hanging not know if the "solution" fix the problem or not:lol: