Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Computer question EJ25 > EJ22 EGR

I recently swapped my 2.5 97 w egr out for a 98 ej22 wo egr....Obviously the cel is on looking for the egr. I bought a computer out of a 95? ej22 and the car wont start.

Which yr/engine computer should I look for so I can pass emissions inspection with no CEL ?

THANKS

Paul

buying an ECU will not fix this problem.

this has already been discussed in detail, you should read through some of those discussions. there's no "one way" to do this, there's multiple. you'll need to decide which works for you. i'd just wire an EGR somewhere in place, it doesn't even need to be plugged in. you may have more than one code though.

yeah any EGR will work, the original would be best of course. it just needs to "see" the resistance, which means you can use a resistor too. that's all it's really looking for.

yeah the search function is real stupid. it only likes 4 letter words or greater. which really sucks on a car forum full of acronyms and vehicle names with 3 letters. :rolleyes:

an asterick can act as a "place holder" so like he mentioned EGR* should bring up EGR results.

also look under the EJ22 - EJ25 swap threads, lots of talk there about this issue. although there may be too many swap threads.

definitely use the "Advanced Search" function.

Well,......I yanked the computer out of my other car ( 96 2.2 no egr) and went to auto zone, lceared the codes, and went to inspection station....and it passed !

Now I can send in the certificate with the ticket I got last week, and hope for a full pardon !!!!

Thanks Guys..

I am going to pull the coil off the 2.5 and get that on there for next year.

awesome! that's great. let us know if the code stays off...or are you swapping the computer back?

Well,......I yanked the computer out of my other car ( 96 2.2 no egr)
what car is that - impreza/legacy/auto/manual/AWD, etc?

it must be a very rare automatic ECU, because the manual trans won't typically do that, they'll still throw the EGR code when put in an Automatic, they just use a pin to differentiate auto/man and work in either - but "expect" the EGR if placed in an auto.

i'd like to give a 96+ non-EGR ECU a try, but can't find one...and i USED to have exactly what i need but never pulled the ECU before i scrapped it out of non-EGR Automatic 1997!

Because I am so old I cant remember if the car from the junk yard last week was an auto or maunal, but....that ECU didnt work in either car.

Both cars I have are standard...

97 Outback wagon 5 spd was 2.5 now has a 98 2.2 in it....

96 Legacy Brighton wagon 2.2 5 spd....

And the light came back on while I was out for dinner, but I dont care ! I have 364 days to figure it out.

Paul