Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PS fluid Dexron II Dexron III

I have to change out my ps pump I think the bearings are going and I have an extra. When I went to pick up some AFT and ran into the Dexron III and AFT that replaces Dexron III of course I made the mistake of getting it at walmart. My understanding is that III replaces II. Should I search for II or is this replacement for III going to work? :confused:

Neither Dexron-II nor Dexron-III is being made any more -- GM won't license them (the current spec is Dexron-VI). The 'replacement' ATF for Dexron-III/Mercon should work fine, especially in a PS system, where it isn't nearly as critical as in a trans.

Ok so I learned a valuable lesson today. When you change out your PS pump for an 96 to 97 make sure you have the banjo bolt from the 96. I had it all in and went to put in the bolt in and it was to small from the 97 PS pump. The one I needed is sitting with my parts car an hour away. I called parts stores with no luck. So now I have the PS pump, tank and pulley I didn't wanted on my car. So heres the real kicker no PS noise at all. So all I really did was change out about a Qt. of ATF. We'll see what happens but for now all seems well. :rolleyes: