Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should I NOT be doing with a subaru trans?

The contact area for the welds wouldn't have been enough to where I was confident that they wouldn't fracture. Plus with the tolerences of how close those spider gears fit on the stubs. it would have been quite a challege to keep them EXACTLY aligned with all the warping that goes on from heating and welding. We had to make a "best guess" as to what alloy filler rod to use, and I can't say for sure if it was exactly what we wanted. When this is the case, the more weld the better to reduce the chance of stress fracturing.

I'm gonna have to just knock on wood and hope its as strong as it needs to be.

I would have removed the stubs first then welded just the spider gear contact faces. That way you avoid heating them at all, and you can replace them if they break. You have now welded in the stubs into the diff. if you do break one, you will have to replace that whole diff unit, including having the new one welded.

Sweet project. I'd love to take it for a few laps in the dirt. looks fun as hell.

I recommend changing your airfilter often, maybe even way more often than oil changes.

the location of the air filter wasn't my idea, but he was pretty set on having it stick out the front like that cause it "looked cool"

Its his car not mine, so whatever...

almost forgot, I uploaded another parade lap video:

Edited by RenaissanceMan

The steering wheel has become a bit less forgiving. Sorta a two hands on the wheel situation. Wider turns are fine. Only time it becomes an issue is in the hairpins. If you aren't going fast enough to swing the rear end around in the hairpin, then it has a major understeer force working against you.

Traction is amazing! I will tell you that still. Both wheels hook up out of the corners and off you go. Id say at the last race we were at a disadvantage by just how firm the lake bed was. It was really like rallying on tarmac with dust. On his dirt track at home, or in any lightly loose dirt situations, there is definetly a HUGE advantage in comparison.