Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 One plug fouling

I just rebuilt this engine. New pistons, reworked heads, bearings, etc etc. The engine itself is tip top. Everything was within tolerance.

The #4 plug keeps fouling. I have the carter weber setup. I run no emmissions on the engine. It starts up great and sounds great running. Upon further inspection, the #4 is not firing. Cleaned the plugs and run it again, and in about 30 minuites, I loose the number 4.

Exhaust does smell rich, but no smoke. I get a puff of black upon start, but it stops right away. Why would this happen on only one cyl? It it were too rich, wouldn't it foul all plugs and run terrible? I can't figure this one out.

I am running hotter plugs, but it does not help. I'd rather not waste fuel though. I'm thinking rejet. Jets are only 6 bucks. Problem is, I don't which jets to get. I talked to one guy and he told me about .050. I think that he was just guessing though. Is this too big or too small for the EA71?

Oil fouled or fuel fouled or .....?

Could be a crap plug.Swap it to a different cyl.Plugwire too,if possible.

Pretty hard to foul them w/fuel unless the carb floods.

Check compression.

IIRC,Carter-Webers don`t work w/o the duty solenoid functional.

I'm sure that its fuel fouled. Heads were reworked and valves were reseated. Smoke is Black on starting and I have a heavy fuel smell. After running it for 10 minuites, it smells like I was swimming in gasoline. I've rotated the disty 180 and moved the wires and plugs. Still on same cyl.

Should I try and adjust the float? The engine really does sound great, especially after the rebuild. All plugs are wet, but the #4 stops firing. If I pull the plug wire off a little to create an arc, it starts firing again (upping the voltage to that plug)

I can only assume that its fuel related since there is no oil on plug or white/blue smoke out of exhaust. If it were disty, wouldn't it do that on all cyl's? Could it be float adjustment? Or should I play with the jets?

Hmmm..... All 4 wet w/fuel.That`s much too much.

I wouldn`t touch the float unless I knew it was flooding.Hotwire the pump and look down the carb for drips.

I thought Carter Webers were only on 1800s but that shouldn`t be a big difference.

Like I said,AFAIK,this carb won`t function properly w/o electronics to operate the duty solenoid on the air bleed.

If everything else was OK,I`d suspect restricted air bleeds or emulsion tube. Wouldn`t touch no jets.