Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

Last week my 97 OBS (227k)had the check engine light to come on, and it started running very rough, & with no power. When I had the codes read, it showed a MAF sensor malfunction, & missing on 1 &2 cylinders. IN addition to replacing the MAF sensor, I replaced the coil, plug wires, & the throttle position control sensor(the body on it was crack). I picked up the car from the shop yesterday and the car ran fine. Today, the engine seemed to stumble or missed twice at road speed (2800rpm) and then continues to run okay. But, once, at a stoplight, the engine died, but the car cranked right up and continued to run okay. The check engine light has not come back on. Any thoughts on if there is something else going on with the car that might make it do this?

Bad gas/water in gas? Try some additives?

While you're at it give it a stout gas treatment, i and many others use MMO or Seafoam.

As for the cylinder misfire, I would have replaced the plugs while you were at it.

And on EJ engines the ignition wires should have been Subaru only, I've seen brand new after market wires cause stumbling and check engine lights on EJ motors.

The plugs were replaced at 217k, but we did pull the plug on cylinder 2 & replaced it with a new one. Thanks for the heads up about the plug wires, I will take that under consideration. I am going to try some gas treatment when I fill up. Also, is it possible that the idle may be set too low, and if so, is there a way to adjust the idle speed?

Thanks

the idle isn't really "set" like on old cars. it should never need adjusted.

on most subaru's since the 80's there some kind of solenoid/valve controlling the idle. i've never had to mess with the one on my OBS so i can't give specifics. but usually idle issues are solved by just cleaning out that valve (Idle Air Control Valve they are often called), or replacing it with a known good one.