Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory service manual info and other question.

Could anyone give me the proper torque and sequence for the head gasket bolts for an ej18 out of a 95 impreza. how many miles do you need to retorque the bolts. Any tips for getting very accurate torque readings....?

preferably out of the factory service manual...i would have one but they cost a bunch and all my money went to parts.

Also,

i'm going to do a full seal replacement and replacing the front input shaft bearing in my 5MT tranny and wondering if anyone had any mistakes they had made and learned dearly from/tips for the job. Do you need to prelube the bearing before you put it in? I have read the thread about replacing the front seal and it looks easy enough.

The factory manuals have a unique procedure for torquing heads. I believe this is primarily due to using new bolts every time.

I did not use new bolts when I rebuilt my ej22t, and that recommendation was from a prominent Subaru engine builder.

Here are instructions for the ej22. They should be the same/similar.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/Heads1.jpg

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/Heads2.jpg

i am going to use my old bolts.

anyone have the actual sequence and numbers for the ej18....i know they might be similar but would be real nice to get the actual numbers.

i have a haynes manual but they don't even have instructions for the ej18 just ej22 so i have been following those.

• 3 weeks later...