Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC pulley removal?

kybishop

My A/C pulley is locking up on me. I was just going to pull the pulley off so I could still drive it. I removed the nut off the pulley but can not get the pulley free. Is there a retainer still on this thing? Special tool to remove the center? I see two small holes for maybe a special wrench? On the 1986 GL wagon EA82.

I can not just remove the compressor as it is on the inside and the alternator is mounted off the compressor on the outside. Just looking for a simple fix without messing with coolant lines etc. The pulley is in the way, can not just by-pass it with the belts. It is smack in the middle of where the belts need to go, can not NOT use it with it gone.

Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by kybishop

I don't know for sure on Subarus but the domestics I have worked on need a special removal and installation tool. You may have to search a little bit or someone here may have a better way to remove the clutch pulley. I do know that the ea81 ac's use a tapered shaft so you may be able to do it like removing a small engine flywheel and apply preasure behind it and tap the center shaft with a hammer.

I just pulled out my manual and yes it does need a puller.

Edited by silverhelme
update