Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased a y pipe exhaust manifold from a custom made guy on ebay. the mandrel bend pipes look good but the hole for the cylinder head studs are not lining up good.

I think it might be easier to get some new studs from the dealer and have those place in the cylinder head and then wrestle with the y pipe. I am also ready to make the holes a bit bigger on the troubling spot.

any suggestions?

Michael

If the new Ypipe is still loose mate it up to the old one to give you a better idea of the hole alignment.

The exh manifold bolts (and nuts) are a bit pricey. But the studs I think are standard - if you take one into a parts store they may have them.

Those coated nuts that are expensive I have only found at Subaru. But they seem to work well for the exhaust, motor mounts, and eng to trans nuts - they don't seem to corrode.

Well I got the new one on. The holes were a bit off so drilling helped but getting some new studs put in was the key. Having the studs to work the pipe onto was easier than trying the thread the stud into place.

Went with dealer manifold gaskets 7.50 each.

Michael