Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump control unit(relay)

Is there any way of testing the relay to see if its bad before i buy a new one? And i called two parts stores and they didnt have a listing for this relay. do i have to go to a dealership for this part. and would an 83 subaru have the same relay as an 85 subaru?

without knowing the car, generally it's just a matter of using a multi-tester to measure the voltages at the relay, if the relay isn't closing it won't be sending anything to the device it controls

there should be 12 volts going to one of the connectors at the relay, when the key is turned to the on position, it should close the relay and complete the circuit - allowing 12 volts to 'flow' out one of the other connectors to the device it controls

maybe someone else can elaborate, you might mention what model of Subaru it is and someone may have something specific for it

Is there any way of testing the relay to see if its bad before i buy a new one? And i called two parts stores and they didnt have a listing for this relay. do i have to go to a dealership for this part. and would an 83 subaru have the same relay as an 85 subaru?

There is always a way. Is yours 83 or 85? EA-81 engine?How many wires on the FPCU? Own a meter?

As you may know,this device is a little more complex than a simple relay.

This is a dealer or junkyard part.

In a pinch the FPCU can be bypassed but I would not reccomend it.

Ok so I was trying to explain the problem in only a few words because I am a slow typer, but here it goes....It's an 85 wagon with a carberator(dont know about the EA1 or 2) Don't even know what that means? I first put on a new button for the shifter for the 'shift on the fly' 4wd because two years ago it got stuck. That worked out good except that I couldn't find my manual so going from what I remembered I did get it in. Simple right? Then the heater blower motor was not working so I went to the junk yard and got a used one. Cool again, right? Except I still had no manual!!! So after I get that working good my brother says "oh the manual is right here." This is after I had asked him and every Tom wongleflute and hairy if they had one. They all said 'no'. So now I'm p%*!ed off but oh well I got that done. Yah!! So why wont it start!!!:-\ It ran fine when I drove it in the shop. Ok so we start the testing process... It's not getting fuel, ok Prime it... no .. Ok checked the fuel pump by hooking it up direct to a battey. Ya it works. We tested to see if it was getting electricity to the pump and it did but only for a second. I read somewhere some one was talking about why it does that. But any way so Oh what i have a manuel now YAA! so i check the fuses there all good. Oh did I mantion that I had to put an new battey in it cuz the other one wouldn't hold a charge. any how ya so I figured it might be the relay so I tear apart under the dash, fuse pannel, and small side pannel, to get the darn thing. Not easy if you ask me. So here I am with the relay. It's a black box and it has a 6 prong plug with all the prongs going the same direction. Th eguy at the subaru shop said I could test it if it was back in the car. Now I'm gonna go bazerk. What 'I just took the F$%&!ing thing out. Ok so when and if I hook it back up how will I know if the electricity is going in or out of the relay? I am going to take it apart and spray cleaner on the conections to see if that helps first. so there it is. Is there anything I missed? Any good ideas from anyone? Thanks for listening. LOL

If you have pump power for 1 sec it sorta works.It needs to see ignition pulses from the coil for continued power.

Could be bad FPCU or lack of ignition signal.

Confirm ignition signal is present on one of the wires on the plug.Don`t know which one offhand,but,a test light will flash on one of them as the engine is cranked.

Cool you may have something there cuz a toggle switch has been put in to start it with. so maybe it is something to do with the starter switch? I will check that too. Never would have thought of that on my own. hee hee Thanks I'll let you know how it goes in afew days.:grin:

So let me see if I have this rite. Are you saying to check for ignition signal on one of the wires on the 'Fuel Pump Relay' plug? or check one of the wires coming from the 'ignition pulse relay' plug?

Edited by leuigirl
forgot to ask about wire