Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got her running.... sort of

i posted here a while back that i got a free 87 gl 4wd (carb'ed) that needed a new engine. well, i got it in last weekend and couldn't get it to start. worked on it yesterday and it is amazing what happens when you hook the right wires to the right places :grin: problem now is that it is running really rough. gotta rev it up to 4k to get it to move without stalling. i am thinking this is a valve and ignition timing problem. i am going to check the timing tonight and hopefully all will be well. any other suggestions?

Edited by tehweej

i posted here a while back that i got a free 85 gl 4wd (carb'ed) that needed a new engine. well, i got it in last weekend and couldn't get it to start. worked on it yesterday and it is amazing what happens when you hook the right wires to the right places :grin: problem now is that it is running really rough. gotta rev it up to 4k to get it to move without stalling. i am thinking this is a valve and ignition timing problem. i am going to check the timing tonight and hopefully all will be well. any other suggestions?

Timing +1,

Did you replace the fuel filters?

do you have good gas in there?

What is the condition of the carby?

any vacuum leaks?

i will check the fuel filter (where is that located?)

has good gas

the carb i think is ok, this is the first car i have worked on that has a carb, so it definitely might need to be tuned. last known status of the carb was that it was working fine, but that was 10 years ago... so who knows.

no vacuum leaks that i know of, but will double check. thanks!

ok so put a new fuel filter in, but it still is running bad. if you give it a little gas it'll rev a bit, but if you give it too much it stumbles and has no power. it will respond better at WOT. i have a couple of mystery vacuum hoses that i dont know where they go:

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

if you plug either or both of the large hoses, the engine will stall. help!

Untitled.png

Large tube on the aircleaner here should be connected to the ASV valve silencer. The plastic do-dad, that is connected by a big fat tube to the exhaust.

The small blue port should be direct intake vacuum, and i believe it needs to be connected to the small tube on the aircleaner. Looks like the aircleaner from an 87 though, as the 85s don't have that solenoid mounted on the front of the air cleaner snorkle like that.

Untitled2.png

if you plug either or both of the large hoses, the engine will stall. help!

Swith the one pointed at the firewall with the one next to it on the air cleaner. That one(pointed back in pics) should just point downward at the drivers head, the other one is attached to the port on the valve cover.

YAY! moved the hoses and it amazing what'll happen when things are hooked up right! couldnt figure out why it was idling so fast until i check the throttle cable... just a hair tight :grin: took it out for a spin and all is well. thanks for the help!