Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing fuel filter in tank

As a follow on from my earlier post I now know my fuel filter is in the fuel tank. I have found 2 access hatches to the FT under the rear seats but which one contains the FF? Is it a big job to change out in the tank, do I need to empty tank, depressurise fuel system and will the covers need a new gasket if I distrub them?

Pics below of the FF, and the 2 covers. Thanks for any help.

post-11601-136027631779_thumb.jpg

post-11601-136027631797_thumb.jpg

post-11601-136027631804_thumb.jpg

The fuel filter for a Sube OB is under the hood on the drivers side. It's quite easy to change. (See other posts)

There may be a screen on the pickup tube by the fuel pump (Forgot which side but the one with the most wires on the connector). I have never heard of any problem with the screen.

Use a little silicone grease when you reconnect the hoses so you can take them off the next time. If you screw up the hoses make sure you use the correct pressure rated replacement hose.

mrtoyou7747 is correct, there is a screen (sock) on the pickup of the fuel pump assembly, which is on the right (passenger) side of the vehicle. I have attached a picture of two assemblies, look at the bottom of both and you will see the filters. I really doubt you will need to fool with those, just replace the under hood filter. If you really want to take the fuel pump assembly out, the biggest issue I had was getting the hoses off and then tucking them out of the way to remove the assembly. Oh, you do have to contort the assembly to snake it out of the opening.

post-689-136027631812_thumb.jpg

I can't tell what year that is from the pics. But it was my understanding that USMY2005+ the filter was in-tank (and they removed the one from under-hood). I'll let someone else answer the "which door" question..

EDIT: Maybe this helps?

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/fuel_filter_replacement-t3645.html

Edited by nickb21
Added Link

Sorry folks, the assemblies in the picture were from a '97 OBW 2.5 (on left) and a '97 L 2.2 (on right). I guess I should have seen the original posters location and considered the various options...plus not knowing the MY of the vehicle.