Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crinkling Tinkling under car...

Can someone help me diagnose this noise?

About a year ago I put my 97 Legacy 2.2 AWD Automatic into FWD via the fuse due to this noise that was happening under the car.

For months it sounded like a bearing going, creak creak creak at certain speeds etc.

But then all of a sudden when I was driving it there came one day this much louder and immediate crinkling and tinkling, like something was coming apart directly under the driver.

I put in the fuse just to see if it would help, and the noise was immediately gone, or at least to such a minimum that it was not noticed in comparison.

But lately i hear the same crinkling and tinkling at a low level. when I hear it I think of the term "bell housing", for whatever that's worth.

any idea how I rid myself of this worry? Can taking out the drive shaft get rid of it? I don't mind driving it in FWD.

Thanks,

'97

you can remove the rear section of drive shaft, not the front section. the front section slips into the rear of the trans and creates a seal that keeps the trans fluid in the trans. i have wondered if you could just use the very first piece of the front section that slips in and drill it and pin it like an axle shaft, but i've never heard of any one doing it. the front section is usually the part that causes problems.

you need to find out what's making the noise. since it went away in FWD it's limited to the drive shaft, likely,... rear diff, unlikley,... axles, possible, or wheel bearings, possible.

you need to find out what's making the noise. since it went away in FWD it's limited to the drive shaft, likely,... rear diff, unlikley,... axles, possible, or wheel bearings, possible.

No, I don't think rear end stuff or driveline. Perhaps a U joint, ussually the one right behind the trans output, but probably not.

I am thinking something in you're transfer clutches went. Perhaps the transfer drive hub broke off the end of the main shaft? I've seen it happen a time or two.

I think first thing would be to inspect the driveline, but likely it is fine. Pulling it out will get you to step 2 which is to pull the transfer extension housing(rear of trans) and check out the clutches.